Chapter 32 - The Twin Brides

The demon swayed after us. He was just a shadow. A spirit. I sat quietly in the passenger seat, calm and composed. But I was ignited with fright on inside. I was moments away from passing out. I turned my neck towards Rick. Will he kill Rick like he killed Mark? Mark was my boyfriend while Rick is just a friend. But should I risk one more person's life?

"Hey, you OK? You look pale." Rick asked when he parked his car into my driveway. I nodded and I got out as fast as I could, slamming the door behind me. My eyes searched for that demon. We were alone. Ander Booth was gone. But for how long?

"Are you sure-" Rick grabbed my hand and stopped me, "God, you're so cold-"

"I'm fine." I tried to assure him.

"Well, then..  I was wondering maybe could, you know, come with me.. next time. Like a da-"

"Rick!" I shouted, trying my best to stop the tears forming in my eyes.

He stopped, "Yes?"

"I don't think we should be friends." He stared at me, confused.

"Why? Did I said something-"

"I- I'm just 17, high school girl and I don't want people to think we should hang out-" That didn't made any sense. But hurting him with words is better than seeing him die for no reason.

"I get it." He raised his both hands in defense. He turned around and sat in his car and zoomed away. Real smooth, Claire.

I rushed back into the house, grabbed my phone from the couch and went to my room. I called Aria and explained my sudden disappearance first.

"I don't know what to do now. I'm scared, Aria. I can't live with this fear inside me. Why isn't he doing anything? I don't know how long I'll be able to stay composed. Mom, Jake, they're.. I can't do this anymore. I'm trapped like a goat in a lion's den. Helpless. Hopeless."

"Claire, you will find a way out. You know what, I've always been so jealous of your boldness." She let out a sad chuckle, "You're brave, more than you think you are. You survived that accident with the bride ghost-"

"Hang on!" I interrupted.

"Are you okay?" I pace around the room thinking about my staircase accident. The bride who pushed me. The bride who wanted to kill me. I ran out of my room down to mom's room. I opened her wardrobe and ruffled through. On the top most shelf, I found out an album. Mom's wedding album.

"Claire, you there?" Aria called out.

I have gone through the pictures a lot of times. But I never saw the connection. My mom looked like the bride ghost who wanted to kill me.

"I'm hanging up-"

"It was my aunt." I breath out.

"What?"

"The bride- the spirit of that bride, she was my aunt. My mom's twin sister."

"How do you know- Oh."

"Yes, I was too afraid to see the resemblance."

"But why would she try to kill you?"

"She was going to marry Ander Booth."

"Not possible. Ander Booth was born a century ago!"

Aria was right. How can she marry someone who was already dead- "It was Andreas. It's all clear now."

"Who's Andreas? I didn't get it." I walked out of my mom's room after putting back the things into right places. I sat on the couch and explained.

"When my aunt came here, she might have met Andreas. You remember, the ghost who tried to contact me. He said he was betrayed, he needed my help?"

"Yeah?"

"She was going to marry him. But she was 17 and she lived in this house. It was cursed. That ghost told me he saw his girlfriend dead body and she loved someone else. Whatever. So, Ander Booth killed my aunt and then he killed Andreas."

"It's not- I don't know. This isn't fitting, Claire. Why would Ander Booth kill Andreas? And why would your aunt try to kill you?"

"Because she doesn't want to break the curse. She wants that demon to suffer." That's what Will told me.

"And how is the curse broken?"

"I don't know." I sighed. "If I can find out, I could find a way out."

"What?" She laughed. "And how will you do that? Ask Will?"

"No. I don't want to talk to him. I couldn't put him in danger. He doesn't deserve it." I stood up to get to my room. "But.. I will find out. I have to."

"Just don't.. be stupid." Aria said in low tone.

I shrugged although she couldn't see me, "I'll try."

After ending the call, I pace around in the room. How will I find out the mystery behind the house? I can't let the demon or any other ghosts to control my present, my future. Stop acting as a victim, Claire. Take action.

I walked out of my house, down to the lake. I need fresh air. I haven't been here in a long time. It was dark. The pool of black liquid was in front of me, dark blue sands on the shore. Few lights burned far in houses and backyards. It was quite cold for July but it was soothing, comforting. I walk along the shore, my hands folded to protect me from the weather.

Why hasn't any ghosts tried to attack me? If I could be the one who would sent the demon free and the spirits don't want that, they should appear in front of me, harm me like that two chicks did. I saw none after my staircase incident. Andreas -he warned me I was in danger.

Someone was walking behind me. The hairs on the back of my neck erected. Someone's eyes were glued on me. I jerk my neck and turned around. Darkness. Just few lights on the other side of the lake twinkled in the foggy weather. I was alone. Was I?

This wasn't the time to wander off in the middle of night alone. I was lost this evening. I shouldn't risk to get lost twice in a day. I walked back towards my house, still with the sensation of being followed. I fasten my pace. My flip-flops dug into the sand making humid gravels stick my toes.

A man stood near my backyard. The lights shone upon him, highlighted his silhouette. As I got nearer, I saw his face. Will stood with his hands in his denim jeans pocket, eyes fixated on me. Act as if you didn't see him and keep walking. I almost run towards my house when-

"Claire! I'm sorry for-" Will said.

"Stop it." I stopped, my back facing him. "This isn't working. It won't. Right now. We both know, Will. This is dangerous. Stay away from me." I muffled a sob.

"Stop, Claire-" I rush towards the back door and slammed it after entering. I can't put anyone else in danger. I need to know what the heck is going in this house. And I will solve this. Alone.