Chapter 23 - A Missing Day

Our eyes were locked, both showing different emotions - one pair with fear, one with terror.

I gulped and forcefully turned my neck but the backseat was empty.

"You coming?" dad was now outside the car holding the door for me.

I mumbled a weak 'yes'. I wiped off the sweat from my face and got out of the car. Dad slammed the door and locked the car. I walked timidly towards the elevator when I saw something on the hood of the car.

I called dad who was waiting near the elevator.

"Yes?"

"Blood!" I said in a muffled voice. It was dripping from the bonnet onto the parking floor.

"Where, Claire?"

"Dad, did you kill anyone?" I looked into his now confused eyes. "I knew we hurt somebody.. Dad.."

My weak legs gave up. My hands were trembling. Dad caught me before I fell on the ground. I began crying.

"Dear, there is no blood. We didn't hurt anyone." he hushed me. Carefully he helped me to get on my legs and we went towards the elevator.

I didn't know what was happening with me. Why was I feeling so depressed and sad. I was still sobbing, my eyes focused on our car. And then I saw him again.

"Dad, he'll kill me!" I stopped in my place and began screaming. "I don't want to die, dad. He wants me. He'll kill me. He'll kill me like he killed everyone. Will was right. I'm not safe."

"Claire," my dad tried to hush me while he continued dragging me into the elevator.

"I am going to die, like the rest of them." I was trying to get out of dad's hold.

He was still sitting in the back seat of the car before the elevator door closed.

"Claire, you were having a bad, bad dream." I didn't realize I was in my bed, my dad tucking me inside covers. "It's alright now."

My heartbeats were still pacing at a high speed and a hollowness in my stomach told me something was wrong, very very wrong.

"You want me to sit beside you?"

"No, you go away.." my voice mumbled.

"OK, good night!" he kissed my forehead and went back to his room.

I was not able to sleep. I twisted and turned but the silence and the darkness of my room overwhelmed me. I got out of my bed and opened the curtains. The night sky was lit up with neon and bright colors. The whole sky was a painting full of fireworks. Fireworks?

Today was Friday. Tomorrow is the fourth of July but what are those fireworks doing up there tonight? I went back to my bed and switched on the lights. The clock on my night stand said it was half past twelve and the date was July 5th?!

I slept the whole Saturday?

I missed the July 4th? Now how did that happened? I didn't remember a single thing that happened with me. I was supposed to go on a barbecue party with Aria. We were going to celebrate it together. Now, I don't even remember what happened after the elevator doors closed and before dad tucked me into my bed?

I found my phone in the drawer near my bed after looking for it everywhere. I called Aria.

"Hey," she said with a hoarse voice, picking the call after abundant rings. I got under the covers, my phone was held between my shoulder and ear.

"You were asleep, sorry-"

"Claire, it's okay! Now tell me, how are you feeling?"

"I saw him." I said without thinking. My heart pounded like heavy drums just remembering his bright eyes and that horrific smirk.