48. Hot and Cold

Claire looked out of the restaurant window the whole time as if she didn't want to be there. Ander, regretting to put her in such an uncomfortable situation, didn't initiate any conversation.

"So Will, are you still in school?" Aria, who was sitting beside Claire asked. Ander sat across them in the booth, waiting for their order.

All the excuses and stories rolled up in Ander's mind. He was quite an expert after practicing on so many victims.

"I.. I'll continue my senior year in high school this fall." he eyed Claire as he replied carefully. "What about you?"

"I'll be in the senior year too! Along with Claire." Aria elbowed Claire.

Ander's brow narrowed as he asked, "With Claire? You mean you'll be in Havendell?"

"Ain't that great? I'm so excited about it. I was so surprised when my parents agreed. With Claire's dad still recovering and Jake going to university, I thought I'd accompany her."

Ander pursed his lips and agreed. "We'll be in the same school then."

"Uh-huh.." Aria glanced at Claire who was silently listening to the conversation. "I was wondering, Will.. if you were free on Saturday."

Claire's brows shoot up. Ander asked, "Why?"

He eyed Claire, knowing Aria was talking about something Claire wasn't approving.

"A few days ago, we acquainted with some kids from school and they invited us to this cool party. It's down the lake garden. Near Claire's house."

"Aria, he-" Claire interrupted by she continued.

"It's a good way to meet people from our class, you know, make friends... It's our final year, after all. You should definitely come."

Claire shook her head.

"I'll see." he said just when their order arrived.

They ate in complete silence. Ander pondered about his decision to attend the party. On one hand, this generation's party was unbearable for him. Although he wasn't 'living', he was well informed with the culture around him.

But then knowing how wild these parties could get, he felt protective of Claire. He tried to console himself that he would be going only because his sister said so, but he knew that was a lie.

After their meal, Ander paid as promised. He learned that both of them took a cab here. So, he proposed to drop them at the house. Aria agreed. Claire agreed as well, after protesting, of course.

Surviving through yet another awkward encounter within a couple of weeks of his new life, Ander took a leave from both the girls and walked towards his house.

"Will, wait," Aria called him. He turned to find her standing at the main door, alone. She continued, "It might be too much to ask but you have to come to the party. For.. for Claire's sake. She needs her friends. I don't know how close you both are, but I know you care for her deeply. Call that a superpower of mine."

"You're right. I'm worried about her and I want her to be happy after all that happened. I'll come." he assured.

"This is so unusual for her, you know. I mean, she lost her mom and almost her family and herself, I know. But, she's not coping as good as one can expect from her. She's severely hurt."

He understood every word of her vague explanation. He could see that on Claire's dull responses. She's so hurt from all what happened and the threat on her life still dangled on her head.

"She'll be fine. We'll make sure of that," he said and turned back towards his house after bidding her farewell.

But, something felt off. Very odd. Why didn't Aria question about two 'Williams' in Claire's life? He was sure Claire might have told her about Will Monroe and the devil, but she didn't tell her his truth. Well, maybe it wasn't much of a deal, he thought.