56.3 - Back Story

Her eyes went wide with terror and somehow it bedazzled me. I could feel her thoughts as it ran from confusion to acknowledgment to horror.

She saw me as if I was a normal guy showing off my skills completely unaware of how horribly I've destroyed some lives. But the question was how could she see me? I didn't know then that she had moved to the cursed house.

Thinking I had somehow allowed her to see me, made me come up with an excuse. A prank, yeah it could totally be one.

"Whoa wait!" Rick interrupted, "I used that exact same prank on her when I first met her."

"Really?" Ander was amused.

"But it was actually a prank. Unlike yours." He added before Ander continued.

She cursed me after I revealed that it was supposed to be a prank. The relief in her eyes made me smile; she actually thought I was a ghost (which I was). She ran off while I was laughing on the ground, thinking I'd never see her again. Not at least face to face.

I wish I was right.

I was just chilling by the swing when I saw her again. My dead heart thumped again (not really) when I saw her coming out of my house.

"What are you doing here?" I asked naturally although I knew she wouldn't hear me. I only appear before my prey.

She stopped. She had heard me! She turned towards me with disgust on her face.

"I could ask you the same." She folded her hands, demanding me an answer.

What to do? Go along, my instincts told.

My inside electrified when she confirmed she lived here. She lived in the cursed house! A teen girl who could be bound to my deathly game.

That was the last thing I wanted to do to her. I couldn't continue with that. It had to stop. But she appeared younger. Maybe I could chase her off before she turned 17.

But she was stubborn as hell. She didn't hear anything I said. And that made me red with anger.

Why can't she hear for God's sake! I warned her and she mocked me back as if she was still angry with the prank I pulled, which obviously wasn't a prank.

She still shouldn't be able to see me. She was clearly not 17 or I would've sensed her regardless of her living in the cursed house. Something was different.

But, my rage won't help her, so I thought to mend things and try to convince her. I knew I'd come up with an agreeable lie as I'd mastered in it.

I sensed a baked cake in Monroe house. I always do. But Rachel wasn't around when I peeked in and saw it sitting on the counter ready for someone to devour. She'd made a cake for Emily too. Maybe she'd made it for that girl as well?

Stealing the cake, I went to her house, hoping I'd save her somehow. There was time.

But her stubbornness! I liked that. She was eyeing the cake as if she wanted to eat it in one go. I wanted to discuss the situation she was in but she dismissed me. I couldn't speak.

Hours later she came to the Monroe house (l would haunt there as I couldn't be in the cursed house due to her) and slammed the cake on my face. The cake was rotten. She'd thought I pulled another prank. But such things happen when there's supernatural presence in the house.

It was in that moment I knew she'll be troublesome for me. The demonic part of me wanted to tie her up to me and never let her go.

However, I tried. I acted as if I was Monroe's son. As if I lost my little sister. I thought about Dora and warned her. She'd almost believed me, but then she flipped off. Her ever-so-strong walls lowered, revealing her vulnerable side.