53. What hurts the most

Claire didn't say anything. She was quiet the whole ride back to their home. And it was scary, the scowl she had on her face.

But, when Ander turned into their lane, she spoke. "And now we're going to pretend it never happened?"

He slowed the car but didn't reply.

"You barged in my date, Ander!" That got his attention. He eyed her as they reached the front yard.

"What? Can't I go on a date now? I like him. I like Rick."

Although he had turned off the car, he tightly gripped the steering wheel, his knuckles turned white.

Claire laughed humorlessly. "See the problem here? It's not me. Not even Rick. It's you. The problem is you, Ander."

Sighing, she continued, "It wasn't a date. You should've known that."

Ander fully faced her now, preparing to explain his reason.

"Listen to me, first." She raised her palm in air, indicating him to stop. "I know something is happening, Will. Something is happening to meIt's know you know it. You're trying to protect me. But do you know what hurts me the most? It's this silence from you." She stared her lap, eyes brimming with tears, not even realizing she called him 'Will'.

"You retreating back, keeping the distance. It's all repeating again. You're doing what you did before! I know you were bound by that stupid curse before and I don't blame you. Not really." She looked up, "But now? You don't even look me in the eye! You're not even telling me I'm in danger. I know you care but why this silence? It hurts. I don't know if your feelings for me were due to the curse or even my feeling for that matter. The bond between.. between us made us feel that way or if they were real, I have no idea. But now when it's broken, nothing changed for me." Tears rolled down her red cheeks and her lips quivered as she talked.

"It's not," Ander spoke bluntly when he saw her vulnerable state. His conscience warned with the red signal not to say the lie that came up in his mind.

"I thought I won't feel that.. that.. after the curse broke. I thought your feelings for me would vanish too. When it didn't, I realized that although the curse broke, the bond hasn't broken yet."

Claire didn't utter a word. She silently whimpered but her eyes gazed Ander's, searching for truth in his words.

"I feel the bond between us. And that's because of my curse. Nothing else." Ander looked away as he wasn't strong enough to lie on her face.

"Uh..huh." She was silent for a minute before asking, "What was all the fight about? At the restaurant, a few minutes ago?"

"That?" Something inside him was telling him, to tell the truth. "That was.. um.. I." But, he couldn't tell her that Gabriela is still out there, trying to kill her soul!

"Never mind, Ander. I knew it! I don't believe a word you say either way." Claire opened the door to her side, her eyes reflected his betrayal. "Don't try to come up with an excuse or a lie. I'm not going to believe it. I just.. Do you know what I'm even going through? Two months! My life changed in two months in the worst way possible! And you exactly know how and why! It's hard for me to live without my mother, my dad pushing his wheelchair around in pain, my brother working day and night - adjusting between jobs! I had accepted I won't get anything from you. But why are you trying to get near me again, Ander? I don't know the reason but I can't fall for you twice knowing you only want to be around so that you can save me from paranormal shit and go down to guilt trip! I can't do that."

She was wailing now. And Ander knew exactly how she felt, not because of the bond they shared, but because he felt the same way.

"Either tell me what's going on, everything that you know or please don't come near me. I can't handle it!" She was begging now and Ander couldn't do anything.

Why can't he tell her the naked truth? Why can't he say about the premonition? How strong their bond was? How much danger circled around Claire? Why?

Why did he think that lying to her would somehow keep her safe? She was already heartbroken! All he wanted to do was to take her in his arms, tell her they'll get out of it anyhow. But, then what?

She was 17, for God's sake! She had her life in front of her. He didn't want to make promises he can't keep.

Ander had also thought of the possibility that if he ends his life, Gabriela would leave Claire alone. He was dead either way! He won't have any purpose left if this is over. But, he knew Gabriela. Once she sets her mind on something, she'd do it no matter what.

Claire waited for his answer.

"Stay away from Rick." was all he said.

Tears brimmed in her eyes as she shook her head in disbelief. Slamming the door shut, she rushed towards her house, her hands rubbing off the tears.

Ander slammed his fists on the wheel, his head resting against it. Why? Why couldn't he say anything to her? He was a jerk!

Turning on the ignition, he headed towards the old Haven. He really needed someone who could understand him. He needed Dora. And a day off from all the hassle.

Alas, that's not what happened. It turned out quite an eventful day when Ander saw Rick at the Herbs and Potions shop, again, while he was on his way to Dora's residence.

Now that Ander dealt with Claire, sort of, he was up to clear things with Rick.

'That guy needs to learn his place.' He thought as he drove down the road to inspect what was Rick up to.