Chapter 15 - Decisions

"I need your help, Claire." he came towards me. I took a step back but I slammed with the door. "You have to trust me. I won't harm you. I would never harm a beautiful and strong girl like you." he need to get his facts right. "You have to come back or your family will suffer. The house you lived in, is cursed! Everyone will die a painful death."

A cursed house? My house is cursed?!!

"Claire? Dear?"my dad's voice ringed in my ears. I opened my eyes, got out of my bed and rushed towards the door. My dad was here. I hugged him so tightly, and cried.

That was just a dream, that guy couldn't be here.

"I'm sorry dad!" I said between my sobs. He rubbed my back and kissed my head.

"Claire, it's alright now! I made a mistake of not talking with you, not asking you.."

I looked up at him. He had teary eyes. I wanted to go back with him but the dream.. I was so confused. What if that dream was true? What if that house was really cursed? I can't leave my mom and brother to die. I was angry for what they did to me but I'm not selfish! I love them equally.

'Trust me, Claire. Leave this house, now.' Will's words flashed in my mind. 'Don't ever think to come back.' 'You are in grave danger.' 'Especially you.'

Why should I trust Will? He was a jerk who loved to make fun. A spoilt brat!

'But he lost his sister in that house.' my subconscious reminded.

"Claire, are you ready to come home?"

Was I? I was so confused. I could go with dad and forget everything or I could go back to my house and convince my family.

"Dad?"

"Yes.."

"I'll go with you," I said hesitantly "but I need few days. I have to talk with mom."

"Take your time dear." dad patted my cheek "Whenever you're ready."

I hugged him again. "I missed you, dad."

"You have no idea."

I got ready and packed my bag. I went downstairs. Aunt Holly dropped me to my house before her shift at 'Sands & Witches'. She just told me to take care and go with my instincts. Dad was staying in a hotel.

Aunt had already called my mom and informed I was coming back but I told her not to mention that dad was already here and I'll leaving Havendell in few days, for forever. After I kept my bag in my room, I came downstairs. Mom and Jake were sitting on the couch waiting for me. It was time to tell them the truth.

I rubbed my palms against my jeans and lazily walked towards the empty couch. I was feeling shortage of breath. I felt this every second I lived in this house. I sat on the couch and crossed my legs. I was clenching my fingers nervously. God, give me strength!

"Mom, Jake." I finally began. "I have to tell you something. Promise, you'll listen without interrupting."

They looked at each other and nodded.

"I felt weird about this house from the day we came here for first time. It looked like a deserted place to me. I felt someone's presence in this house even when I knew I was all alone. I felt that someone was always staring at me. I'm feeling that right now."

"Claire, are you -" Jake hissed angrily but mom reached his arm and squeezed it.

"I had scary nightmares. One time I saw a lady in the kitchen and she grabbed my wrist. When I woke up the next day, I had a bruise on that wrist. Even you saw that mom, that bruise.."

"Come. To. The. Point, Claire!" Jake said angrily.

I've never seen him acting like this, never.

"This house is haunted. And we can't live here."

"What?!" Jake shouted "You have gone insane, really."

"Jake, people died here. Someone tried to kill me too. I was pushed from the staircase that day-"

"You just missed a step, Claire. You're probably hallucinating from that tiny injury you got on your skull."

"People died here! The Monroe's daughter! She was killed here. Mom, you should've known that."

"She was playing with her brother! He pushed her by mistake and she went down from this staircase," my mom finally said something. "Just like you.. but her brother couldn't save him. She died due to an accident."

I stared my mother. Kathy died because of Will? Is that the reason Will's eyes show the fear and guilt? He blames himself? He never told me about his sister's death. This means that Kathy died in an accident and not due to the paranormal things? But there are surely other people who died here. Were they accidents too?

I was confused, completely confused.

"Mom, this house is cursed!"

"Stop it!!" this time, it was mom. She was shouting angrily "Enough, Claire! We are not going anywhere. We'll stay here and that's final, are we clear?"

"I don't know why I came back here! You know what? Do whatever you want, really! Dad is waiting for me, I was going back to Rivera anyway."

"Wait, Dad's in Havendell?" Jake asked "And you were going anyway? Why did you bother to come here, huh? You are already destroying your life, stop destroying ours!"

And I broke down. I couldn't control anything inside me. I knew they won't believe me but I can't give 'There are freaking deadly ghosts in this house' certificate! I shouldn't have come here. They'd leave the house when they'll realize themselves.

I rushed out of the house through the back door and went in my backyard. I was weeping loudly. I was fed up. Why did we end up in this hell?

"Are.. are you crying?"

I heard a girl's voice in my backyard. Was she the dead sister Kathy? I turned around and found one of the twin on the swing.

"Kasie, right?"

She nodded. I walked towards her. I think she knew some of the answers to my question.

"How did Kathy died, Kasie?"

"She was intentionally pushed from the stairs of your house."

------------------------------------------

The guy (Ansel Elgort) in the media is whom I imagine as Jake, Claire's brother.