45. Silence Before The Storm

What he feared happened

Ander knew that living with his ninety-five-year-old sister would not be as peaceful as he expected to be - not when he himself was nineteen years old and Theodora was his younger sister.

"You ready young man?" she called out from the passenger seat.

Ander tried all excuses he can, to prevent from going back to his own mansion. He laughed at how he manipulated all these years and took lives of innocent people but he couldn't convince his younger sister.

Not that killing people was laughable at all. His dreams haunted him with monstrous screaming. He could still taste the fresh lives he took. Every single one of them. Most painful of them was killing Claire and Kathy. He saw his own sister in Kathy.

Claire - just thinking of that beautiful girl, his love, who saved his life, was heartbreaking. He just wished she was happy, safe, and away from him.

He was a monster. A monster who didn't deserve to live. But considering the agony and pain he felt while living a normal life with all those memories, death was an easy punishment.

He shut the gate to Dora's house and walked towards his new car. He sat behind the wheels and took a deep breath before igniting the car engine.

"What's with that brooding look on your face?" Theodora frowned.

"Just shut up and let me drive, you old bat." Ander snapped. Theodora smiled to herself.

When the car and its two passengers reached the familiar territory, Ander grew breathless. He hadn't been here since the day he tried to kill Claire. He hasn't seen Claire since the day he said farewell to her at the hospital.

But here he was.

As Ander parked the car in Monroe's driveway, he looked at Theodora,

"Hey, Dora-"

Theodora's eyes were transfixed in the distance, beyond the Monroe house. Her eyes wide open with terror.

"Dora? Did you see something?" Ander grabbed her armed and shook it.

"Your Claire is in danger. Her life is in danger."

Ander's heartbeat was frozen all these years. It didn't beat until last week. But he only realized it now, the way they were hammering after hearing what his sister said.

"Theodora! What are you saying?" his voice quivered as he formed those words.

She turned her eyes towards him, carrying the same fright it held, "I sensed danger around her, from someone close to her."

Ander's brows frowned, "You sensed her? She's still here?" He asked although he knew she wouldn't be going away this soon.

"Yes. And from what I saw, I don't think she'll be going anywhere soon."