Chapter 17 - The House Next Door

I was furious. Scared. Confused.

I couldn't pin point what the actual hell was happening. The arrogant person who held me securely in his arms was even more confusing. Why wasn't he telling me the whole picture of the house?

"I have some questions." I said as I shove off his arms and took a step back.

"Why don't you understand? All of your questions have one answer: Go away!!" he turned the other side leaving me staring his hard muscular back.

"I'm afraid, Claire. I'm afraid it is already too late.." his voice sounded distant. "You made a mistake coming here again. I won't be able to save you, agapi mou. Please go away, I beg you."

"I don't want to hear your cheesy dialogues, Will. I wanted you to just help me convince my mom and Jake! But you know what? I thought you'd never do that. You just run around, ordering-"

"He is possessed." he mumbled.

"What?"

"Jake, your brother is possessed. You won't be able to convince him."

A bullet ripped through my chest. At least it felt like that. My heart was paining like it was seared. But I stood there trying to keep myself together.

"I'm sorry to tell you this-" Will said as he turned and placed his hand on my cheeks.

"Is he possessed by a spirit? A ghost?"

"Not really," he explained patiently, "He's not strong Claire, and he is getting much affected by the atmosphere."

"I.. I don't get it. And why are you telling me now?!" I screamed. "You think I should be selfish? I should runaway and save my life?"

"Yes. You should runaway, for them, Claire." he said softly looking into my flooded eyes. "It is happening because of you."

I removed his arm off my cheeks and wiped my tears. "Tell me, Will."

"All you need to know is that demon wants you, Claire. You can be his next prey and he'll kill everyone who comes between you two." he said a little loudly.

"But you said runaway.."

"Runaway before you become his new obsession. You can still save your life. And your family's too."

"If I do now, will Jake be okay?"

"He might be."

"He might be?"

"But if you don't, he'll surely die."

I nodded. I felt a huge part of me screaming inside, confused and scared as hell. But the little part was brave. I can do this. I wiped my tears again and clenched my jaw. It was happening due to me and I have to do something.

"You are stronger than you think." he kissed my forehead in a caring way and rubbed my arm.

I took a step back, gave a nod and looked into his eyes. His deep brown eyes held the same fear I had in me. He was intently gazing my face, begging me to go away.

But he was not as strong as he showed.

I turned back and ran towards my house. If leaving my family would save them, I was ready. I went to my room. I called dad and told him to pick me up. I was going away finally, hoping everything will be fine. I didn't wanted to stay here tonight so I told dad I'll stay at the hotel he was staying. Dad was on his way to pick me up.

I had to tell this to Jake. I was afraid but I have to be strong. I came out of my room and searched for Jake. He was not in his room. Mom was already on her shift at Sands & Witches. Jake was out, I guessed.

A half and hour later dad called me. He was outside the house. I grabbed my bag and made my way out of my house. I was in the front yard when I saw dad's car parked on the opposite side of the road. When I was walking towards it, I saw Jake coming out of our neighbor's house, but not Monroe's. The house on the other side.

"Jake!" I called out.

He went into our house without listening me. I saw dad talking with someone while he was sitting on the driver's seat so I went towards the house next door instead. It had tall walls surrounding it and a small old style gate. I peeked in to see it was a deserted old two storeyed mansion. I was never able to see it from my backyard due to the tall walls.

'The Booth's Mansion' the stone inscription near the entrance said. The gate wasn't locked so I opened it and went inside. What was Jake doing here? It was not a good idea to enter someone else's property but I was curious than ever. I was drawn to the house. It invited me in.

It had a big front yard. I walked towards the house and climbed a couple of steps to the front porch. The front door was unlocked as well. I felt in that moment that if I was in my true senses I would run after my brother rather than entering an old abandoned house. Somewhere inside me I was battling not to go in but I felt hypnotized.

Thanks to the tall street lamps, it was the only source of light in the house. As I entered, I saw a messy living room with broken shelves on my left and on the other side was a spiral staircase. It was pretty much designed like my house but it looked bigger and abandoned since ages.

I saw a ray of light coming through a window on the back side of the house. I walked through the kitchen and found the back door. It was the most eerie house I've ever been to but I love it. I wanted to stay here. I opened the back door and saw a big wide backyard. There was a patio style garden in one part of it. I could sit there and read book for hours.

As I took steps forward I saw few square stones tucked into the ground. Those were gravestones. I walked towards the gravestone on the very left side of the garden. 'Katherine Monroe (b. 2002-d. 2014)' was written on it.

Kathy's gravestone!

Right next to her was a gravestone with 'Emily Palmer (b. 1997 - d. 2014)' written on it. There were so many gravestones in that yard. Why would anyone put graves in the backyard of such a beautiful house?

I saw a gravestone bigger than most of the gravestones in the backyard. I strolled towards it and stood near the stone. But there was a mistake. I tried to rub off the dust from the gravestone only to discover that the death year was really missing from it. Why would someone make a gravestone of a living person? The inscription was:

Ander Booth
(b. 1915)

--------------------------------------------------

The picture in the media is how I assumed that abandoned house.