Chapter 21 - Haunting Past

I can't believe how easy and simple life seems after a huge hurricane.

One week passed. Nothing happened. Nothing. I was feeling as if nothing bad happened to me, ever. However I was missing mom and Jake. I call them every two days or so and they're fine. Dad and I had a conversation about the 'his side of story' and all but I didn't tell him about the house. I knew he'd hear me first before coming up to conclusions, but I thought to just forget it. Past is past.

I unpacked my bag. Jake had already sent my other things. I was finally feeling I'm at my home. I was getting used to the environment. Life was good.

'It's the silence before the storm.' my subconscious unnecessarily interrupted.

Aria and I were at a cafe discussing about our favorite TV shows and books and celebrity gossips.

"Aria?" I asked all of a sudden "Do you.. I mean you believe me about the haunted house, right?"

Aria was quite. Her brown eyes were gazing mine. Her silence was deafening me.

"I do believe Claire, you know how much I'm interested in all these stuff!" she said slowly.

"But?" I was playing with my pendant dragging it around the chain, side to side.

"I think we're missing something here.. You know, I don't want you to get hurt. It is so confusing.." she was talking while staring blankly at my pendant and then she asked, "Hey, where did you get that?"

"This?" I point towards my pendant "An old lady gave me because she thought it was mine and I accidentally dropped. But it's cool, so I'm wearing it."

"Do you know what that is?"

I shrugged one shoulder and said "A fashion accessory?"

She leaned forward and got a closer look of it. "Eye of Ra or Eye of Horus."

"Now what's that?"

"It is a symbol of protection against the evil." she proudly said.

"Ok, so you know that shop.."

"Claire?" a very familiar voice called out. That voice which once gave me comfort and safety. The voice that always assured me I was loved. The voice which betrayed me.

Dang! Life's a bit*h.

I shut my eyes and clenched my teeth, hoping that he would somehow disappear.

"Claire, let's get out of here." Aria grabbed my wrist and dragged me towards the exit. But he tightened his fingers around my upper arm.

"Claire, wait!" My ex boyfriend stopped me from going out of the cafe.

"Mark, I'm not.."

"Aria, give us few minutes, please." he interrupted me.

Aria looked at me, asking whether she should stay or leave.

"Please." he begged. I nodded once at Aria.

"I'll wait in the car." she said after shooting a deathly glare in Mark's direction. We followed Aria out of the cafe and stood near a bus stop, while Aria went across the street where her car was parked.

"I missed you." was the first thing he said.

The last memories with him were so fresh in my mind like a bleeding wound.

'You think you'll ditch me and I'll just sit here and cry after you? But you know what? I am dumping you. Listen everyone, I'm dumping my girlfriend. Anyone can have this bit*h because I unleashed her.'

He was always creative with his choice of words but never this rude. I never got to know the reason he dumped me and acted like 'Mean Girl 2.0'. All I could do was cry and beat myself up for not getting over him. But let's say, Havendell showed me even dangerous problems and I eventually forgot him or I pretended that I did.

"What do you want, Mark?" I folded my hands across my chest eagerly waiting to get away from him. To be honest, I missed him too. He was my first crush, first kiss, first date, first boyfriend,.. and first teenage love. We had some amazing time together.

"Past few months have been so hard for me Claire. I regret it so much.. what I did to you. We both know I would never do that to you.. I got caught up in the moment, I was angry.. I was afraid.." he said genuinely.

I could always tell when he's serious. His forehead would crease, he would rapidly move his hands to describe things and would speak speedily while his eyes would be trained on the ground. He couldn't lie, he was transparent and honest.

"I love you, Claire. I love you so much.."

"Why didn't you say this before? I wanted you to stay by me during my hardest time and you just dump me, in front of whole effing school?!"

"I thought.."

"Why are we even having this conversation now? I moved on Mark. I don't need you. You just saw me after a couple of months and jumped on me to apologize?" He never interrupted me, even when we were having an intense argument. He.. STOP IT CLAIRE!

"I came to apologize the very next day!"

"What?"

"Jake told me.."

I hold my index finger in air to shut him up. Jake!! Why? At least he should've told me. What's his problem? Urgghh!!!

"It's too late.."

"Claire.."

"Mark, I think.."

"Claire, listen to me, once." he caught my both arms, steadying me, his green eyes boring into mine. I decided to be silent, hear him out and run.

"I was angry, OK? I was afraid. I loved you Claire, I still do, so much. When you said you were going away, it broke my heart. I was so afraid that you'll forget me, get a new boyfriend. I was afraid that you were too perfect for me."

Told you, creative with his choice of words. Whatever he told looked like it came from a cheesy romance fiction however he never read any of them. That always made me fall for him more.

"When Brandon told me you were back in town.."

"How did Brandon know that?"

"Because, he is Aria's boyfriend?!"

Err.. what? That little chicken had a boyfriend and she dared to hide that from me? And her boyfriend is my ex-boyfriend's best friend. Ha!

"When he told me, I was so happy.."

"Listen, I accept it OK. Apology accepted. Goodbye, see you never." Did I ever tell that I'm fed up of dramas!

My life is bunch of life-changing scenes and sequels. My life has enough of curve balls to throw me till infinity. It felt like someone just sucked away all the happy moments, oh except I got an opportunity to drown and get saved by a hot guy.

I turned around and walked across the street while Mark kept shouting. And here I thought, life was good. Thanks for reminding me what I deserve.