Chapter 22 - The Beginning

"You better start spilling the beans." I told Aria when I sat on the passenger seat of her car and slammed the door.

"Claire, are you OK- wait what?"

"Aria, your secret affair is out. And guess what? My ex told me about my best friend's secret. Isn't that amazing?" I was too angry to be concerned about my cinematic dialogue.

"I don't know what you're-"

"Brandon!! You and Brandon are a thing!"

"Yes, so?"

"So?! Really? 'So', Aria? Aren't you supposed to tell me about your BOYFRIEND? I am your best friend. Oh or you've got a new friend-"

"Claire, what are you talking about? I told you that I'm dating Brandon when you were in Havendell. You said you're happy about me and we'd look cute together."

"What? I don't remember you telling me that!"

"At first, I thought you didn't heard the name so I asked you, twice! I also called him when we were sitting on my terrace last week."

"I don't know.." I said, my voice trailing off. Aria was right. I think I've heard about it from her.

"Whatever." she started the car. "You were um.. occupied with the handsome neighbor of yours."
She smirked at me when I shot a glare in her direction.

"This Saturday, on 4th, we'll be going to a party-" she continued "And I won't take a NO for answer. Claire, you have to forget what happened and move on, that's the only way. You're never going back to Havendell. Juliet and Jake will be safe too. Just enjoy! Plus we're going to have our senior year together. Now, that's dope."

All I could do was agree with her.

On Friday, dad and I thought to spent time together. He was having a day off. We went to see a movie and had dinner at our favorite restaurant. I wore a long dark red baggy top and a ripped skinny jeans, my favorite black wedge sandals and feather earrings. I was thinking to wear that amulet given by that old lady but it didn't matched so I tossed it off. I also applied some makeup, just some mascara, a winged eyeliner and lip gloss.

In all, I had a nice family time.

On our way back home, dad was, as usual, driving and humming to the old songs playing on the radio. I was sitting beside him, in the passenger seat admiring the hustle and bustle of the busy roads. Although it is summer, it rained a bit before. The roads were wet and the weather outside seemed dull and foggy.

We were passing through a tunnel when all of a sudden, the light dimmed. I turned in my seat and looked behind. I could see it was lightning outside the tunnel end. The music stopped and I was able to clearly hear the traffic outside. I saw a man overtake our car but he looked as if he was asleep. He had his hands on the steering wheel with his head dropped down.

"Dad, did you see that man -" I looked at dad. I saw he had his head down too.

"Dad?" I shook his shoulder to get his attention.

"Dad!!" I screamed when he didn't answer. He was fast asleep.

We were going to meet an accident. And we'll die. I don't want to die! I took the steering in my hands and try to stabilize the car when I saw all the cars around were moving slowly. Even the horn seemed in a slow motion. The lights in the tunnel started blinking rapidly and it got darker and darker.

A man was standing on the road few feet away from our car. We were going to kill him him. Oh no! I tried to move dad and reach the brakes. I couldn't. I was staring at the guy who was nearer now. I motioned with my hands, telling him to move.

"MOVE!!" I screamed. But it was too late. We were just about to hit him. I squeezed my eyes shut with the help of my hands and screamed.

The front glass shattered. I felt a heavy weight on me. Every inch of my body was crushed and torn. I felt something passed through me. It was in and then out. I opened my eyes and looked around.

"You okay?" dad's voice rang in my eardrums. "You seemed like you were having a bad dream."

He was safe and sound, driving in his seat. We then escaped the tunnel and on the main road again. But I was heavily sweating. I was breathing forcefully for some oxygen in my body. My legs were feeling numb and weak. My stomach was churning with fear. My heart was beating against my ribs, the vibration thumping in my ears. This was one of the craziest nightmares.

I had a feeling of going under covers and cry. I wanted to cry a lot. I was feeling weak and hollow. A rush of sadness washed over me. I was shivering with the fear. What was happening to me?

"Hun, you look so pale? You sure, you're alright?"

I wasn't able to nod. I stared him with my eyes wide opened. He pressed his palm on my forehead.

"Holy s.. um, Claire you're having a high fever. You don't have any allergies or anything, do you?"

I shook my head once. I was withering my fingers in my lap, my bone joints felt like they were crushing. My throat was dried up. My breath, blood, veins - everything was searing.

"I'm taking you to hospital."

"Home." I commanded dad in a harsh tone.

"Dear, I think-"

"I said HOME." I shouted. I was angry as hell.

"Claire, honey.." my dad was nudging my shoulders, waking me up. "We are home."

I was sleeping in an awkward position. My neck was hurting, my back was sore. I stretched in my seat and yawned. Dad was worriedly looking at me.

"I'll be fine dad." I said calmly.

I adjusted the rear-view mirror to see my current condition. I froze. My eyes opened with fear and mouth agape. My heart began thumping when I saw a pair of eyes watching me from the backseat through the mirror. I don't know who he was but I had an idea or two. My eyebrows knitted together due to fear.

And he just snarled, devilishly.

------------------------------------------

If you're reading THIS, I hope something extraordinarily wonderful thing happens to you this week.