“Sir, please tell me, is she okay? How do you know her?”

“Oh she’s alright…for now, but she is very nosy and very much concerned for your well-being. As for my acquaintance with her, well that boils down to her nosiness as well. She was looking for you I believe and tangled herself up in some of my business as well as my cousin’s. It’s been rather inconvenient.”

“She’s been looking for me?”

“Yes. By the way, how did you become friends with such an ugly and boring girl?”

“I don’t think you actually care to know. I think you just wanted to say that to insult her,” I replied rather curtly.

“You’re a bright girl, and quite right as well. You know I have no problem getting you out of here and getting you back home with your pesky friend, but I’ve come to know Alaure and I know she won’t just let it go. She’ll dig deeper and get to the bottom of things. She’ll ruin me and my friend Garrett here, and I can’t let her do that.”

He stroked my cheek with the back of his fingers. “I’ll have to get her out of my cousin’s protection and kill her.”

He got up and began to pace the room.

I stared at him in shock. “Kill her?! Why? She’s about as harmless as a newborn puppy.”

“A kitten, more like. Quite a curious one too at that.”

“What could she possibly do to ruin you?”

He thought about it for a moment. “You want to hear a little story? I have time to kill, and you seem to be much better company than my cousin or your friend.”

Before I could answer he plopped down next to me and began narrating it anyways.

“You see, my cousin—actually I should call him my half-brother, but the more I can distance myself from him, the better—Damon, has always gotten everything he’s ever wanted—the spoiled brat. He has the looks, the money, the company that should have been mine, the women—my woman,” he scowled. “My only sin has been that I was born out of wedlock…a sin I didn’t even commit, but it has been my burden since the day I was born. I worked with my bratty cousin’s father on his company and he promised me it would be mine one day, yet he bequeathed the damned thing to my ungrateful, idiot of a ‘brother’. Ever since that day I have been slowly plotting my revenge. At first I tried to infiltrate his company, but I later realized there were some large benefits to simply overtaking a rival company and bringing his down. Knowing the inner workings of the company already it wouldn’t be that difficult for me. Besides I think it’s much more satisfying squishing the company I could never have like a cockroach,” he smiled deviously.

“I’m not afraid to admit I’ve become consumed with revenge.  

"And you think Alaure is going to get in your way?" I asked with a raised eyebrow. "What do you think she's going to do? Kill you?"

He chuckled, “No, but even if she did, the show doesn't end with my death. I've taken certain precautions to make sure I can go through with my revenge. Although I would prefer to put an end to Damon and his company myself, I've left Garrett and his men the task of killing him and ruining his company. The rewards are just enough to ensure that he'll go through with the deed."

"Why don't you just kill him now and get t over with?"

"Information, data, business deals. The time isn't quite right yet. Sun Microsystems needs just a little more well-hidden information from Vanguard Technologies to completely overtake their business. If I live then I want my company to be the wealthiest and most powerful, and if I die, I want Damon's to be reduced to dust. Either way, I win," he smirked