Chapter 48: Can't Stop Now

OK SO I KNOW I SAID I'D TRY FOR MONDAY AND AS YOU CAN OBVIOUSLY SEE I DIDN'T UPDATE ON MONDAY. SORRY GUYS. BUT I WAS SUPER BUSY AND NOW I'M NOT. 

FOR MY FELLOW CANADIANS, LEST WE FORGET<3

************************************************************

(Lucy POV)

   I trudged onwards over the 10th mountain I've encountered. It was already sunrise and if I'm guessing right Natsu should be telling everyone of my departure. I finally reach the top and took a look at the view. 

   Behind me was a vast forest and greenery, the sun's light touched everything on that side; good. In front of my was another forest but it was twisted and dead, it looked like no living creature could survive on that side; evil. Everything I see I relate to my battle with Zeref. Shaking my head of the thought I took my first step into the enemy's territory.

   If I keep going the pace I'm going I'll reach Bat Mountain in 2 days time. 'Are you sure you're ready to fight him?' Lyle commented. "I know I'm ready." 'But the prophecy says you need Natsu to defeat him.' "I am highly aware of the Lyle and if I know Natsu well enough he'll come at the right time." 'How can you be so sure?' "You don't need to be worried about that, all you need to worry about is holding up your end of the deal." I said almost slipping on the loose rocks of the mountain.

   (Natsu POV)

   "Lucy is on her way to Bat Mountain and you just want us to wait another 2 days to leave?!" I roared in anger. "Natsu, I told everyone we would be leaving in one week, which will only be in 2 days. I'm not going to unexpectedly disrupt their training to leave sooner than necessary." Gramps retorted taking a swig of his coffee, since it's too early for booze.

   "Sooner than necessary?! Lucy could be dead already and you're telling me it's unnecessary to leave now!? Are you not even worried? I thought you cared for us like your own God damn children!" I yelled with heat radiating off my body like a furnace.

   "Of course I care for all of you! The reason we aren't leaving right this second is because I trust Lucy! The real question is why don't you trust her? She trusts you with her life, do you trust her with yours?" Gramps snapped. "Of course I-" "Then show you trust her by leaving with everyone else in 2 days." The small man hopped off the bar counter and walked to his office in the back end of the Hall.

   "Damn old man." I hissed placing my hands in my pockets and walked to the exit. "He's right you know." A voice rang from outside the Hall. "How would you know? You've never had to deal with anything like this." I said glaring at the figure leaning on the outside wall of the Hall.

   "Natsu it's true I don't know how you feel, but Makarov tends to be right a lot." They replied. "Shut up Erza. I don't need a lecture right now." I grunted walking away, Erza giving me a sad look as I walked away.

   I ended up on Lucy's mountain, the cool air blowing my hair every which way. I sat down in the middle cross legged and looked out at the clouds. do I trust Lucy with my life? I shook my head. "Of course I do." I said outloud. She is extremely powerful and she's so kind, why wouldn't I trust her? I remembered the first day of training when we took the short cut  to the bottom. I smiled remembering her words.

   "I trust you Natsu!" 

   She trusted me even though we were falling to our possible death. I then remembered yesterday's battle, she almost killed me. So either a) she's very competitive, or b) there's something she's not telling me.

   I grabbed two fists full of my salmon hair and grunted. "Why am I second guessing this?!" I laid down on my back and stared at the clouds again. Remembering something else Lucy said. "You should try meditating. It helps clear the mind and increase the core of your magic." Well why not? I sat up, crossing my legs, connected my hands to my knees and focused on my breathing.

   Finding inner peace and expanding my magic source is a lot easier through meditation than physical training, although I'll never admit it.

(Third Person POV)

   As the sun began to set both a blonde mage and pinkette mage got comfortable for a good night's sleep. Each of them thinking how the other one is doing and wishing them the best until they meet again; unknown to the two mages that an evil being knew every step each on was going to make. Or so he thought.

   The room was brighter than usual, only because of the hologram showing a sleeping Lucy and Natsu. "It's just as you predicted Lord Zeref, Lucy went on ahead while the others, including Natsu, stayed behind until the end of the week." Ronin said looking at his master on his throne.

   "Did you ever doubt me, my faithful servant?" Zeref questioned turning the hologram off, leaving the room in its initial darkness. "Of course not my Lord. You just never cease to amaze me with your power." Ronin gapped.

   Zeref nodded. "I think we should check in with Lyle. Go fetch my communicator." Ronin bowed then strutted out of the room. 'Ronin is very faithful and useful. I'm glad he feels the need to repay me for everything I've done for him.' Zeref thought placing his head in his hand. 'He will be perfect for the position I have for him, if things go according to plan.' He continued in his mind.

   Soon Ronin returned with two purple pearls which Zeref placed carefully on his temples. "Lyle." Zeref called to the not present demon. 'Zeref.' He responded. "How's our little star holding up?" Zeref asked. 'She's not responding to her memories. She's either gotten used to them or her poker face is on point.' Lyle commented. "Hmm. Interesting. Her and Natsu had a fight which caused her to leave, correct?" Zeref asked. 'Yes.'  

   Zeref smirked. "Bring her memories into a nightmare, but change her father to Natsu. That should trigger something." Zeref commanded. 'As you wish my Lord.' Lyle responded.

   Zeref brought his hand above his head and made a circular motion with his index finger making the hologram come back with a picture of a sleeping blonde. First she started to toss back and forth, then came tears. Next, to Zeref's delight, Lucy started to scream. 

   Ronin looked up to see Zeref on the edge of his seat, smiling like a maniac at the holographic Lucy having the worst nightmare she's ever experienced. Taking a step away from his Lord, Ronin looked at the hologram feeling guilty. He personally met Lucy at that park, and she seemed like the nicest girl on the planet. But he can't feel like this, not right now, he has to repay Zeref for everything he's done for him.

   Besides they've already gone too far to stop now.

**********************************************************

WELL THAT WAS KIND OF INTENSE HUH?

GRAMPS HAD NO CHILL BACK AT THE HALL, THAT'S WHAT YOU GET NATSU FOR BEING IRRATIONAL. 

WELL THAT'S IT FOR THIS CHAPTER. I'LL STILL BE UPDATING ON MY WEEKLY SUNDAY UPDATING SCHEDULE, SO STAY TUNED.

UNTIL NEXT TIME.

JA NE.