Reveal

Selena was dressed in a flowing white lace dress as the crisp air blew her hair around. Yet again they were throwing another party at their home. It was mid October and she was four and a half months pregnant. Today in front of all their friends and family, Justin and Selena were going to find out the sex of the baby.

On a table there was three black balloons to not show the color contents of what was inside. Selena took a pin and walked over, standing in the center.

Pop!

The first one was pink.

Pop!

The second one was blue.

Justin stood on the opposite side of the table, biting down on his bottom lip. He could feel his heart starting to race as he waited for the last one to determine it.

Pop!

Everyone started cheering and clapping. Selena couldn't help but hold back tears of joy, and a few laughs here and there as she watched her husband. He jumped up and down with such excitement, "it's a girl, it's a girl!"

Seeing him so happy always made her feel better, I mean, how could you not?

He ran up to her and swooped her up into his arms before kissing her over and over.

There were so many scary thoughts as these months went by, so she made sure that she made the best of this pregnancy and did everything as big as possible for Justin. His love for kids was beyond words, and she wanted to make sure that everything was perfect. After all, this could be their only shot.

—•—

"I'm happy for them, Pattie, I really am. But at the same time I'm terrified. Selena's chances here aren't that good, and as time goes by I'm just afraid this could be the last time doing things with my daughter. Having this baby could kill her, there's a 90% chance she won't make it. All I can say is that she truly loves your son to risk it all."

"I know you're scared Mandy, and I am too. That's why I stop over so much to check on her or go to the doctors appointments if Justin can't make it." She stopped to take a sip of her wine before letting out a heavy sigh. "I just don't want to see him bury his wife."

Justin stood in the doorway quietly with his hands stuffed into his pockets. He didn't want to bother them but at the same time he was so tired of always hearing about this. Let them enjoy the time, not make everything fucking gloomy. She hasn't had any issues yet and the last thing he wants to hear about is her dying.

He shuffled into the kitchen over to the fridge to grab a beer, twisting the cap off as he took a sip. "Not to rain on the parade, but you two done yet? I've heard enough, for fucks sake. Stop shoving down my throat that she's gonna die, because you're all gonna eat your words when she comes out of that delivery perfectly fine."

"Justin, I'm sorry but as her mother it is scary to think about. I had a miscarriage then went through the same scare with Gracie. It worked out fine for me, and I pray to god it does for her. She worried about me and now it's my time to worry about her."

He stayed quiet, and in came Selena in sweats finishing off a slice of pizza. "Hey you, our movies on, are you gonna come up?" He nodded once, slipping his hand into hers as she led them upstairs. Their movie was corpse bride and it was one of her favorites. It never had to be Halloween time for her to watch it either.

She climbed up into bed and buried herself under the covers. Justin chugged his beer and tossed it away before he got in bed. Changing out of the clothes he had worn to the party, he put on just a pair of basketball shorts and climbed into bed with her.

"New arrival, new arrival!"

She giggled to herself, pulling the covers up as Justin gently rubbed her stomach in a soothing manner. Halfway through the movie she had fallen asleep. "Goodnight beautiful", he said before kissing her cheek.