Pushing Through

It was due to be a long week on Selena. Justin had to go out to Canada due to the fact his grandfather was in the hospital from severe chest pains. Being a nurse and hearing what his charts read, she had a gut instinct that things weren't looking good, so she told him to book the first flight down there.

As he did.

It was 5:30 am and Justin has just arrived at the airport, paying off the taxi that brought him there.

"Thank you."

He mumbled before getting out. Walking back to the trunk he grabbed his carry on bag and his suitcase to head inside to find his terminal. As much as he wanted Selena there with him, her health problems arose too many issues for her to be flying. Anything could happen. The only people that would be somewhat near her while he was away was her mom and step dad, being that his parents were already in Canada.

Making his way down to the metal detector's, he set his bags in the bin to be scanned and took off his shoes, going to stand in the X-Ray machine to make sure he had nothing on him. Once he was clear he slipped his black supras back on and grabbed his luggage, heading through the airports mini mall to reach his terminal. As he came across it, he had just made it there it time to call his section to board the plane. Getting to his designated area, he opened the space above his seat and stuffed his suitcase inside and locked it. This wasn't his first plane ride, he knew everything to do. Between the seat belts, food handouts, emergency protocols, and turbulence — nothing was new to him.

Slipping his phone out of his pocket, he shot Selena a quick text before putting it on airplane mode until they were finally at the right coordinates to turn it back off. "Taking off in a few babe, text you later. Love you."

Her heart fluttered at the simple message that appeared on her phone. She couldn't dare to go back to sleep until he made it there safely, no matter how tired she was.

After half an hour Justin hooked his phone up to the planes wifi, taking a swig of the beer he had purchased.

Resting his phone on the small table in front of him, he couldn't help but notice how much it began to continuously vibrate.

Trying to catch up on the multiple messages he missed, his heart sank, shattered, and ripped into pieces.

"No!"

He shouted in not only anger but pain. This caused a few stares, but he didn't give a fuck. All the text messages were from his mother, Pattie.

"Have a safe flight, sweetheart. We'll see you soon."

"Something's wrong, they sent us out of the room. Four nurses rushed in there after the doctor."

"I wish you were here, I need you."

"I'm so sorry you didn't get to say goodbye, Justin. He suffered from a massive heart attack and didn't make it."

"Before it happened he talked so fondly of you, and wished that he could be here for his great-grandchild. He's so proud of you, and loves the both of you very much. Do not cry, as he said, for if something goes wrong because I will be watching over you. Remember to let the Lord in."

"After all, he only takes the best."

At this point tears were streaming down his face. It pained him to know that he didn't make it in time, especially to be there for his mom. His grandfather helped his mother raise him after all. What was he supposed to do without him?

The rest of the flight he finished off the one beer, becoming a little too anxious to get back to his home and be there for his family — it was a responsibility.

—•—

Four days have passed, and it was now the day of the funeral.

Selena had spoken to her doctor and was cleared to fly. She was going to surprise Justin and come down for the funeral. He was vulnerable and she knew he needed her right now more than anything.

She walked through the door in a slight for sitting black dress which just barely showed her bump, black pumps on, and her hair curled.

Looking around for Justin, she pumped into Pattie. They engulfed each other into a hug, Pattie smiling brightly as she saw Selena's bump for the first time, amazed at how much she was showing for only being two and a half months. She was a week shy from hitting three months.

"I'm so sorry about your loss, Pattie. Just know I'll be here if you need anything, okay?"

She nodded, letting out a sigh.

"Go find Justin, he needs you."

Stepping away, she spotted Justin by the multiple arrangements of flowers, only by seeing his angel wing tattoos on the back of his neck.

"Baby.."

She mumbled, resting her hand on his shoulder. He turned around slowly feeling as if he was imagining it, but to his surprise she was really there.

"What are you doing here? I thought you couldn't leave."

"The doctor cleared me to fly. I had to be here for you."

"Thank you."

He whispered, pulling her into a tight embrace as he sighed.

"I miss him. I can't believe I didn't make it in time, it's killing me."

"Justin he knows you were coming, and that's all that matters. He was aware and it made him happy either way. He was fully aware of how much you loved him."

He slowly nodded his head, pressing a kiss to her forehead before stepping away. Standing in front of the casket, he cleared his throat.

"There's something I'd like to say in honor of my grandfather."

Everyone grew silent as they looked to him.

"I wanted to start of by saying he was an incredible man, but I'm sure all of you here knew that. Growing up, he became my number one role model. I remember getting kicked out of class and just carelessly running to go be with him. He used to be in such awe at the things I did growing up. It's hard knowing I didn't get to say goodbye, but I'm going to continue to make him proud. As I grow older, I only aspire to be as great of a man as he was. I love you pap, rest easy."