54 - Baby Steps

"What is there to talk about? She's the best person I've ever met" - Landon, A Walk to Remember

A/N: Sorry for the late update, medyo sabaw. Mahirap tapatan yung kahapon :) And you're all making me cry with your comments sa last commercial gap. thank you!

The yet unacknowledged couple walked back to the hall where the others are waiting, with their hands intertwined. People are starting to notice who Meng is and some started secretly taking pictures. But they didn't notice and they don't care. They are now in their own world.

Seeing their happy and glowing faces and the hands, of course, the hands, the group knew that double congratulations were in order. RJ, feeling mightily prouder of the business card gift that he has in his pocket than that of the PhD certificate he received tonight led Meng straight to his grandmother and made an upgraded introduction, "Lola, si Meng po, girlfriend ko." beaming with pride.

"Ay naku apo, akala ko bababa ako sa hukay na hindi ko makikitang ganito ka kasaya! Meng, salamat sa pagtitiwala sa aking apo. Kailan ang kasal?" she became emotional as Meng engulfed her in a tight embrace.

"Kasal? Agad-agad Lola? Kasasagot lang ni Maine kay bunso." Raffy butted in. "Congratulations, guys! Thank you Maine for making my brother the happiest guy in this hall tonight."

Paolo raised his eyebrow. "Yung totoo Insan, sigurado ba na ngayon lang kayo nagkasagutan? Baka naman engagement na yan! Eh ang tagal nang parang kayo na eh." making Meng blushed in embarrassment.

"Eto proof Kuya Paolo, ikaw na una kong pagbibigyan." handing Paolo his new business card

"Hahaha, bakit? Nagpaparamdam ba sa 'yo si Kuya Poch?" she asked acting surprised, when she felt and saw Anna tugging the end of her shirt.

"What is a girlfriend? I have many friends in school"

RJ, taking this cue knelt down beside Anna. "It means that I'm now her prince and she's now my princess."

"So I get to call her Tita Chef now? Are you now going to live happily ever after?"

A/N: You might be wondering where Kuya Peter, Anna's father is, parang si Kuya RD lang yan. No speaking lines, but you know he's present.

--------------------------

Sitting across the table where they are having a late night celebration meal after the dinner with his family, RJ was just staring at her, then would grin from ear to ear out of the blue.

"Biruin mo, you're one of the youngest PhD graduate kanina? At 25 years old? Paano mo ginawa yon, ano ka puro aral?" she said trying to distract him.

"My parents encouraged me to take masters program after I graduated since I really want to teach. I did not plan this to happen early pero I know I will need it sooner or later if I want to continue teaching. Diba nasabi ko na sa 'yo that the offer came for a study leave came when I needed it. The reason?  Mahabang istorya pero hindi yun ang importante ngayon. Huwag mo kong istorbohin, busy ako." And went back to staring at her.

"Huy Ricardo!"

"Yes, girlfriend ko?"

"Mahipan ka ng hangin niyan!"

"Hindi pa rin talaga ako makapaniwala na sinagot mo na 'ko."

"Ayaw mo? Madali akong kausap tulad mo. Puwedeng bawiin natin."

"Hindi na puwede. Sealed with a kiss na." And just to emphasize his point, he took her hands in his over the table. He's happy that he already has the license to do this in public. "But seriously, you did not ask for any signs?"