22 - The Banquet

Photo credit: Jacob Images

People were already dancing to the beat of native instruments when Meng and Paolo got to the banquet with kuya Wally

People were already dancing to the beat of native instruments when Meng and Paolo got to the banquet with kuya Wally. The rest were seated on the ground and gathered around in circle with bonfire at the center casting glow to the happy faces around.

Her sight zoomed in on the only face that matters.

The guy was deep in conversation with who seem to be the sitio leader. Now, where to sit? Kailangan pa bang i-memorize yan? Of course, as far from him as possible.

"Doon tayo Kuya Poch, hindi pansinin!" she pointed to the part of the circle of crowd farthest from him.

"Meng, we stand out like a sore thumb, wag ka nang mag-ilusyon na di mapansin. Patunayan mong wala kang problema kay Tisoy." Paolo insisted.

Wally motioned them where to sit. Siyempre, inunahan siya ni Kuya Poch na umupo sa tabi ni Kuya Jose leaving her with no choice but to take the seat beside Richard.

He seemed to be oblivious to her presence. So Meng focused instead on watching and observing the people, the way they communicate, mothers in their native attire with their children. All the while, half listening to what Richard and the elder was talking about. She can't tune out his voice.

RJ knows the moment Meng approached and sat beside him, conscious to her presence. Even if doesn't want to admit it, he had been waiting for her arrival. And now that she did, he can no longer concentrate on what the elder was saying, half expecting that she'll make a comment anytime. He turned to find her closely watching the happening and the people with wonder in her eyes and smile on her lips.

The elder noticed where his attention was. Hindi niya tuloy namalayan na may inaabot na itong inumin sa buho ng kawayan para kay Meng.

"Inom ka daw muna" He has no choice but to call her attention.

"Salamat." She also mouthed "salamat po" to the elder who was fondly looking at them. She sipped a little and went back to watching the the performance when she realized that the two are no longer talking but RJ is now looking strangely at her.

"Ha? bakit, may problema ba?" she asked with a frown on her face.

"Ni hindi mo tinanong kung ano yang ininom mo?"

"Common sense, una maaamoy ko kung alcohol 'to. At kung may lason naman, sasabihin mo ba? Also, I'm assuming na ito rin ang iniinom ng lahat dahil di naman ako special. Okay naman kayo. Judging from what I tasted, this is some sort of tea, maybe from leaves with a taste of ginger, tama ba?"

"Ang dami mo nang sinabi." RJ said and turned his attention back to the elder.

"Magkasintahan ba kayo?" the village elder asked him.