17.2 ...Something Na Yan

A/N: Publishing Chapter 17 in two parts. This is part 2/2. For some reason, it won't accept both as contiguous piece.

MENG

Kumusta naman ang reaction ko? Still reeling from that stare-off, I told him to do the small talk this time but went and walked ahead of him. The farther the distance, the better. I need to think. Something is happening with me and I can't seem to control it. This cannot be. Get hold of yourself Meng!

Andoon na ko, he's cute. In fact one of the cutest guys I've seen. Oh, I can just hear the voice of my Manager if he is to see RJ. 'Artistahin, Meng' with his height and looks specially with that killer bedimpled smile. And smart. And articulate. But there are other guys like him, good looking and smart. What's surprising is that I actually feel safe with him kahit kahapon ko lang siya nakilala. Kahit masungit, mukhang gentleman naman. A good listener and a good conversationalist.

Very deadly combination of qualities. Malaking PAANO? Paano nangyari yon? In fact, you don't usually find them in one person - nagiging extinct na yung mga kagaya niya. 

And his stare. God! He has that clear, wide-ayed, piercing gaze that seems to bare your soul. Very unnerving. Maraming patataubin 'to pag nag-artista. I think he can convey emotions just with his eyes alone.

Pero tandaan mo Menggay, mukhang off limits na! Remember he did not deny it when you teased him about giving flowers to his girlfriend. Is that why you suddenly became quiet, nalungkot ka at the thought that he's already taken?

Wait! Just wait! Can you backtrack a bit? Rewind, rewind! Ano iniisip mo Meng? Huwag mong sabihing attracted ka na sa kanya? Hindi ba puwedeng gawin mo lang friend? Kailangan crush agad? Ano ka ba? Kahapon lang kayo nagkakilala! Tigilan mo at walang pupuntahan 'to.

Remember, you're just a nuisance to him. He's just tolerating you. Huwag ka mag-ilusyon! Nadala lang siya kanina. Yung mga titig na yun, wala yun - amused lang siya sa 'yo kasi ang daldal mo. May nalalaman ka pang theory on small talk. Pa-impress ka rin eh!  Aminin mo!

Isa pa, hindi niya alam kung sino ka! And you'll never see him again after this week. Remember that. Itanim mo sa kukote mo. You're just passing through each other's lives. Better leave no mark.

Meng could swear that she felt his presence even before he stopped her in her track.

"Ano ba! You know what? You have to stop grabbing my arm. HIndi tayo friends!", she just had to remark to silence the loud beating of her heart at his touch.

"Sorry, pero kanina pa kita tinatawag, parang hindi mo ko naririnig", immediately releasing her arm.

Realizing that she overreacted, she said more calmly, "Ganon ba? Sorry naman, nabingi lang nang slight. Saka gusto ko nang makalabas sa puro talahib na 'to. Why were you calling me?"

"Sabi mo magkuwento ako tungkol sa Mangyan village na pupuntahan natin tapos nauna ka namang maglakad."

"Ganon ba? So talk then. I'm listening." she continued walking while he now kept his pace with her in the trail that allowed them to walk side by side.

"Bakit parang pakiramdam ko, naiinis ka?"

Meng did not expect that RJ will  ask the question. Glancing at his face, which was turned to her as he wait for her answer, she can detect the play of emotion on his face, a mixture of question, surprise and something she can't explain so she tried to downplay the matter.

"Hindi nga! Sige na start your discussion, makikinig na po ako."

And talk he did. About the Mangyans, the different tribes, their culture - the safest and most relevant topic in the world. For now.

Kaya lang ano ba yan! Listening to him talk about the natives, nadagdagan na naman ang pogi points nito. She realized that he has a knack for delivering 'boring' information in a natural and animated way. He obviously knows the topic by heart. Siguro kung naging professor ito, lahat ng students nakatunganga lang sa kanya, lalo na mga girls. The mere thought made her feel envious. Meng, what is happening to you? Ang puso mo!

"Hey, are you still listening?"

"Oo naman!"

"Sige, ano huli kong sinabi?"

Surprised at being caught, she tried to recall what he just recited about the natives. "Teka naman, may examination ba ito? Hindi ako nagtake-down ng notes."

"See? Lumipad na isip mo, not paying attention to the teacher." he smugly declared.

"Mind reader ka na rin ngayon? Este, kailangan talaga mag-recite? I mean, ang natatandaan ko lang, you said there are 8 major groups of Mangyans in the Philippines at ang pupuntahan natin is called Hanunoo tribe, the farthest among the 8 tribes at least in this part of Occidental Mindoro. Tama ba?"

"Puwede na. At least hindi ka bokya sa exam. May 2 points ka out of 100 items."

"2 points lang? Then you better continue with the lecture, sir. I'm now all ears." she tried to join the banter.

"Okay class, to continue...one thing unique about the Hanunoo tribe of Occidental Mindoro are their unique alphabet and their written scripts..."

"Sir, puwede from the top? Malayo pa naman mag-bell diba?"

And just like that, her good mood was restored. It's not his fault that she's feeling this way. There's a better time to process her thoughts and feelings for this man. But for now, just enjoy the moment. Sabi nga ni Ryzaa, bawal ang sad, dapat happy.

A/N: Ayun na nga. Yung isa, confused. Yung isa, nag-assume, di na lang nagtanong. Good way to start! Tuloy n'yo lang yan.