1 - The Pluviophiles

Two weeks ago....on a rainy Saturday morning

Richard James "RJ" Faulkerson

''It's good to be back', that's how RJ felt after 5 long months in the mountains of Mindoro doing volunteer work for various Mangyan communities as part of his research project and as consultant for a government agency.

A confirmed pluviophile, it even seems like the heaven sent a welcome party for him when it started drizzling very early in the morning, the sound of which, actually woke him up.

Now sitting by the window, watching the leaves get washed by the steady flow of raindrops, RJ, can't help but remember the happy memories of his childhood in this ancestral house where he now lives with his sister, brother-in-law and niece.

And his lola of course - his memories will not be complete without his Lola Gloria who has become his tower of strength since the tragic death of his parents.

Truth be told, he could have chosen to live independently in a condo unit much like how people of his age would choose, but no, this is the home he would always go back to. This room that had been his sanctuary through good times and bad, the silent witness to his journey to adulthood and the realities of life.

RJ brought back his attention to the view outside his window. There's really something soothing at the sound of raindrops meeting the different textures and shapes of leaves and plants in the garden, then eventually falling on the ground to join the other raindrops.

He was so absorbed in his thoughts that he didn't hear the soft footsteps until a wrinkled hand gently tapped his shoulder. "Hindi ka pa rin nagbabago Ricardo, paborito mo pa rin yang puwestong yan tuwing umuulan...."

"Lola!" Immediately getting down from the window sill, RJ wrapped his arms around the seemingly frail yet strong body of this dear old lady.

"Welcome home, apo! I missed you!"

RJ fondly looked at the face that has aged gracefully, and gave his grandmother another hug. "Na-miss din kita Lola. Sobra!"

Wiping her eyes of unshed tears, "Ako nga'y huwag mong pinaglololoko Ricardo Jaime, meron bang nakakamiss na 2 beses lang sa isang buwan kung tumawag. Limang buwan ka doon, ilang tawag lang yon? Sampu Ricardo, sampu!" She sat down on the bed, looking sternly at her grandson.

Scratching his head, "Lola naman! Hayaan nyo pag napasok na ng Smart at Globe yung kabundukan ng Mindoro, araw araw ko po kayo tatawagan. Wait, patingin nga ulit ng one and only ko! Bakit po parang mas bumabata yata kayo?" RJ continued the loving banter with his grandmother.

"O siya, siya, tama na ang bola. I relly missed you Ricardo. Sana naman bawas-bawasan mo na ang mga pamumundok mo. Paano ako magkakaapo sa iyo? Ikaw na nga lang ang natitirang magdadala ng apelyido natin."

"Ay grabe siya! Apo po agad Lola? Puwede po bang girlfriend muna? Pero malay n'yo po may magiging apo ka na pala na Mangyan?" He said innocently. The look of surprise was very evident on her face that RJ cannot help but burst into laughter.

"Joke lang Lola! Gutom lang 'tong apo mo. At alam nyo po ang kukumpleto sa umaga ko?"

"E di ano pa kundi ang paborito mong champorado at tuyo pag ganitong maulan. Sige mag-ayos ka na at kung hindi eh mauubusan ka ng mga kasama mo." she said, smiling, obviously referring to RJ's companions waiting downstairs.

"Ay sorry naman Lola, tulog na po kayo kagabi nung dumating kami, hindi ko na po naipagpaalam na dito muna matutulog sina Kuya Jose."

"Para namang ibang tao ang dalawang yun, eh sa kanila nga lang ako nakikibalita tungkol sa yo. O siya, baba ka na at pinigilan ko lang si Anna na umakyat dito. Yang pamangkin mo talaga, loyal na loyal sa yo. Sumunod ka na ha?"