23 - Weh, Di Nga?

Photo credit: Jacob Images, Mangyan series

'Please don't fall for me. It's not worth it.'

There was momentary silence after RJ said those words. Nagulat na lang siya nang biglang tumawa nang malakas ang dalaga.

"Hahahahaha!! Hahahaha!!! Hahahahaha!!!! Is that what you think it is? That I'm falling for you? Hahahaha!!" Meng was almost doubling up in laughter, albeit sarcastic laughter.

RJ tried to keep his calm. "I can read the signs. And I'm just making it clear that it's not going to be worth your time."

"E sira ka pala eh! Hindi ka rin assuming no? Is that the reason why you brought up the topic of ending the truce earlier, dahil akala mo nagkakagusto na ko sa 'yo?" She is now fuming.

"Hindi ba yun din ang dahilan kung bakit bigla kang umiwas pagdating natin dito?" He is still calm.

Dismissing his question, Meng continued with her tirade. "Siguro ang tagal mong nawala sa sibilisasyon ano? Akala mo lahat magkakandarapa sa 'yo?"

No response came from RJ. He just continued looking at her, his expression unreadable.

Exasperated at his non reaction and seemingly calm demeanor despite her outburst, she said on impulse, "Okay, fine! You want the truth? Oo na, CRUSH KITA! Yun ang problema mo? Pero hindi mo ba alam na isang pera, isang muta na lang crush ngayon? Actually, nangongolekta talaga ako ng crushessss! Plural! Gusto mong malaman kung pang-ilan ka sa listahan?"

"Aren't you too old for crushes? Di ba pang-teenager lang yan? Or is it because NBSB ka nga?"

"Don't push it. I maybe grateful to you for allowing us to go with you, but that doesn't give you the right to question how I feel. As long as I don't flirt with you, hanggang hindi kita nilalandi, MY FEELINGS, MY PROBLEM!" She said with quiet conviction but the intensity of her words were reflected in her eyes. In bold letters para intense! 

"Look...." RJ said coming closer.

Meng stood her ground. She's not yet finished, her anger beyond control now. "No, you look! Alam mo pinag-papasensiyahan lang kita, kahapon ka pa eh! And one more thing, (akala mo ikaw lang may linyang ganito?) Inaantok na ko kanina e. Nakagawa na nga ako ng tulog. Ngayon wala na! Kaya mo bang panagutan 'tong magiging puyat ko?"

He remained silent.

"Ngayon ka magsalita! Ano, wala kang maisagot?" Silence again with just an intense gaze at her. 

"You know what? You don't even deserve a goodnight!" She flipped her hair and turned to climb the hut.

How long RJ stayed rooted on the spot where he was standing, he doesn't know. That was a perfect dramatic exit if he ever saw one that he almost clapped. He would have given her standing ovation if he was sitting down.

He was left with quiet admiration at the outburst that he witnessed. One moment she was sleepy, and the next moment she looked like a queen, no a goddess, spewing fire on her lowly subject.

Only then did he realized that he forgot to give her the rechargeable lamp that he was carrying.

Bukas na lang siguro. Baka ibato lang sa akin sa galit.

He knows that he was out of line when he called out her interest in him. And he knows that he deserve all the things she said but he also knows that it's better for her to feel anger than attraction. She will realize it soon.

Yes, attraction - that's the word. She called it crush or crushes kahit plural pa yan at isa lang siya sa listahan. It's just a matter of perspective.

He smiled, turned around and started walking away.

At least she's still talking to him despite his stupid remarks.

-----------------------------

After tossing and turning and thinking about her outburst, Meng gave up her pretense of trying to sleep

After tossing and turning and thinking about her outburst, Meng gave up her pretense of trying to sleep. It's 3am according to her watch. (A/N: May backlight po ang watch niya pero hindi siya Technomarine, iba to!)

She lay there awake, looking at the ceiling in darkness. Feeling her pain, body, heart and mind, lahat lahat na! But still remembering.

Haaayst! Puwede bang bumuka ang lupa at lamunin na ako nang buhay? One blunder after another.

Ano ba yan Menggay! Sinabihan mo na nga ng cute sa panaginip, na hindi naman pala panaginip, inamin mo pang crush mo! Ano, dahil na-provoked ka lang? Ganon? Tapos siya, the nerve na sabihan ka na "Don't fall for me. It's not worth it"? Who the hell he think he is? Mr. Darcy?

Direk Mike, you'll be proud of me if you witness how I delivered my lines. Kung puwede lang akong mag-ala Elizabeth Benneth and delivered something like "You are mistaken Mr. Darcy that the mode of your declaration affected me in any other way, than as it spared me the concern which I might have felt in refusing you, had you behaved in a more gentleman like manner", ginawa ko na!

I was dramatic.

I was eloquent.

Kaso baligtad, ako yung nabisto! Ako yung umamin! At hindi ito nobela o teleserye, totoong buhay 'to!!!!

Asan ang hustisya? Uuuurggh! Anong mukhang ihaharap ko sa kanya bukas? Naku! Baka nagkuwento na yun kila kuya Jose.

Di bale, take heart Menggay, ilang araw na lang. Hindi naman na kayo magkikita pag-alis n'yo dito. Iwas pusoy ka na lang ulit. Kaya mo yan.

Teka, pa'no kung i-blackmail ako pag nalaman na niya kung sino talaga ako? Paano kung magpa-interview sa isang reporter at dagdagan yung kuwento? Naku, naku, naku! Wait! Subukan lang niya! Wala siyang evidence. Hindi recorded ang conversation. It's his words against mine.

Maghunos dili ka Menggay, ang layo ng nilakbay ng utak mo! Remember, sabi nung isang GMA artist, I forgot who, "Overthinking kills!". Sino na nga yon?

Hindi siguro guwapo kaya di ko maalala. Never mind.

Then she remembered Tisoy again. "Waaah!!!" punching the neck pillow that he loaned to her, imagining it's his bicep.

A/N: Weh Di nga Meng? Bicep talaga?

Note: Referenced dialogue is from the book Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. ctto Andrew of IYAM for 'don't push it' and 'one more thing' and Gara for the plural for crushessss