32 - One Last Fine Day

Photo credits: RJEatbulaga  twitter account for Maine (Aldub lib opening) and  AldubMaidenPex twitter account  for RJ's picture as suggested by  sis maroons89

RJ spent the morning helping the village workers put up the roofing of the center, with materials they got from the forest. After an hour on the top of the bamboo scaffolding, he felt a little dizzy so he had to go down. It must be the height? But he is used to heights.

Maybe he just need to rest, he felt pains in his muscles and a headache coming. Trying to distract himself, he scanned the area for Meng and found her laughing and playing with the kids. She's really good with children, maybe because she's also a kid at heart. He will definitely enjoy learning more about this lady if she will allow him. He hopes so. He leaned on a tree and continued watching her.

Meng was so preoccupied in playing with the kids that she did not notice the time

Meng was so preoccupied in playing with the kids that she did not notice the time. A glance around and she saw RJ leaning on a tree, arms crossed over his chest, smiling, watching her. He smiles more often now compared when she first got to know him. He laugh more often too, with that contagious laughter. I hope you stay this way Richard. Gusto kong baunin yung ganyang ngiti mo.

She approached him. "What are you doing? Tapos na kayo?"

"Nagpapahinga lang saka pinapanood ka. You're really good with children."

"Maybe because I can be natural around them, they see me for who I am. May I ask a question?"

"Sure."

"I've been curious at ngayon lang ako magtatanong. This center, this project. Why are you doing this? Do you want the Mangyans to change their ways? I mean, what do you hope to achieve with all these?"

"Wala bang mas serious na tanong like ano cellphone number ko? But to answer your question, no, the last thing we want is for them to change their culture, but we can help prevent sickness and prolong their lives with new technology or processes that are non-intrusive. Something they can sustain. Gusto kong turuan silang gumawa ng mga bagay that will be of use to them at galing sa sarili nilang environment, pero hindi pa lang nila alam gamitin."