33 - Bamboo Scripts

Photo credit: yahstar.com (Bogart the explorer)

A/N When you get to the highlighted sentence (in bold letters), that is a tribute to a favorite scene from EB's Lenten Special GGMY. The crying voice-over of Alden was very moving.

OPQ Day 7 - Saturday

RJ woke up feeling a lot better. The first person he thought of was her.

He's really looking forward to their talk. That's almost 8-hr of hike. A lot of time to talk about a lot of things. No more small talks. He knows she's avoiding the topic so he'll take whatever information Meng is willing to share.

Just thinking about it makes him very excited. He can't wait to start their hike.

Pagkatapos nilang ihatid sila Menggay sa Ranger Station, they just need to go back here and stay for another week, then they can go home too. He will find her. He'll make sure of it.

Yes, life is starting to get better.

Even though still feeling a little bit weak, he tried stretching out. Kaya 'to. He went out of his tent and saw Kuya Jose pacing back and forth.

"Good morning Kuya Jose! Naghahanda na ba sila Meng? Gising na ba siya?"

"Tisoy, huwag kang mabibigla. Wala na sila,  umalis na."

"Ha? Hindi nga? Nagjojoke ka no, kuya Jose? Joke yon diba?" he asked but beginning to be alarmed at the seriousness of kuya Jose's voice.

"Huwag kang mag-alala, kasama naman nila si Wally at Ligawon. Hindi nila pababayaan si Menggay"

"Hindi puwede yon Kuya Jose! Ako ang maghahatid sa kanila. Anong oras umalis? Susundan ko sila."

"Huwag na RJ, kanina pang madaling-araw sila umalis, alas-8 na ngayon. Malayo na sila, hindi mo na sila aabutan."

"Pero nangako siya, mag-uusap pa kami! Sasagutin pa niya yung mga tanong ko!", despair seeping into his voice

"Ikaw din ang inisip niya. Alam niyang magpipilit ka kahit mahina ka pa." Kuya Jose approached him and placed his hand on his shoulder to comfort him.

"Shit naman, Kuya Jose! ANO 'TO LOKOHAN? Sabihin mong andiyan pa sila, please!" he pleaded, shaking Kuya Jose to deny what he is saying.

"Ikaw ang tumingin sa kubo, RJ. Wala na ang mga gamit nila. Pero may iniwan yata siya para sa 'yo", Jose's heart is breaking as the look on RJ's face turned from disbelief to desperation to anguish.

He ran to the hut and took the stairs two steps at a time. He looked inside the room and found it empty.  No traces that the hut has been inhabited for the past 5 days except for the empty water bottle left on top of the table.

Shoulders slumped, RJ sat at the top of the stairs, all the remaining energy drained from his body.

He took another sweeping glance inside the hut. That's when he noticed that beside the water bottle, there's a piece of bamboo tube on top of the table with symbols inscribed on it.

There's a folded paper protruding from the hollow end of the bamboo.

Taking the paper out, he realized that it's a letter addressed to him.