43 - Of Sunset and Dawn

Photo credit: will provide later

A/N: Sorry for the late update, another difficult chapter to write.

Meng saw him and waved. He found it hard to breath but he had to approach her although he can't quite look her in the eyes, afraid of what she might see in them.

Aware of what she's doing to him as she watch the unreadable expressions on his face (he's trying to avoid looking at her), she asked innocently "Ricardo, may problema ba tayo? Bakit pulang-pula mukha mo hanggang tenga mo? Are you okay? Nilalagnat ka?"

She was about to feel his forehead when he gently warded off her hand. "No! Don't touch me! I mean, walk, we need to walk. See, the sun is about to set, do you want to go for a walk on the beach?" God, I'm sounding incoherent.

"Alam mo, nakakatawa ka! Kung makikita mo lang sarili mo."

"Puwes kung ayaw mo ng distracted na kausap, I suggest you do something...."

"Wen manong ka talaga!" She got a beachwear dress from her tote bag and put it on. Quits na tayo thinking of that afternoon when he took his shirt off. "Puwede na po ito?"

He was only able to be calm himself after they have already walked for some time. And still, he almost missed hearing it when she inquired about the place, still too pre-occupied with her image earlier which is now imprinted on his mind. Paano kakalma?

"What's beyond those mountains?"

"Still Zambales, I guess. But I read that's another way to reach the cove. To hike those mountains."

"I'm glad we took the boat ride."

He smiled.. "Why do I know you're going to say that. Ganon ba ka-ordeal ang dinaanan mo sa hike natin sa Mindoro?"

"I appreciated our trek going up but I don't want a repeat of my emotions going down. Ganon!" she felt herself blushing.

A companionable silence fell between them as they stroll along the beach, stopping and picking a stone or shell here and there, each one lost in their own thoughts, but still enjoying the company. They found a boat by the shore not far away, docked on the sand, and decided that this is a good spot as any to watch the sunset.

They sat on the beach as they gaze as the sun starts to dip on the horizon. For her, no two sunsets are the same. Today, because of the amount of clouds, the sky is taking on the shades of pinks and blues, more than peaches then gradually turning into deep orange as the giant ball of fire slowly disappears in the horizon. What remained was a blaze of color lending its glow on the lone boat at the beach.

Their silence continued as if both of them had the tacit agreement to just enjoy the moment and let the sunset take the center stage

Their silence continued as if both of them had the tacit agreement to just enjoy the moment and let the sunset take the center stage. For her, this comfortable silence is what cemented their friendship like no other moments can. When you can sit still together and not be obliged to talk or fill the silence with unnecessary chatter. There are only few people with whom she can enjoy silence and sge's glad he's one of them. She was reminded of the special moment that they shared watching the rain in that nook at the rain forest.