21 - The Village

Photo credit: Jacob Images

Hanunoo tribe of the Mangyan, also known as Bulalakao, live in villages typically with no more than 50 to 100 people. And this is one of them

Meng was bewildered, as she slowly walked through the village, also called a sitio. She felt like she entered a story book. Everywhere she looks, everything she sees is novelty for her. She did not realize that a world like this still exists, far far away from the civilization but still a community. A self-sustaining community of indigenous people.

She stayed close with kuya Poch and kuya Wally as they were greeted by some of village elders and their families, the names of which immediately escapes her memory the minute they turn around to meet another family. But if there's one thing that made an immediate impact on her, it's the smile on their faces, a picture of contentment and happiness.

She noticed that the huts are arranged in rows so that the veranda (yes, the huts have veranda) seems to be connected to the next hut. Interesting.

At the farther end of the village, they were then ushered to an empty Mangyan thatched-roof hut with bamboo floors, that was prepared for them in advance

At the farther end of the village, they were then ushered to an empty Mangyan thatched-roof hut with bamboo floors, that was prepared for them in advance. It has some sort of divider resulting in a makeshift room with no door unless you put curtain to it making the outer part a small receiving area with a small and low bamboo table serving as the only piece of furniture. On top of the tables is a gas lamp.

Looking around, Meng took it all in. This is it! Walang kama, sahig lang. Bintana lang for ventilation. Walang TV o radio, magandang view lang sa labas. Walang kitchen, kahit kalan. No comforts of your home. Ito ang magiging mundo mo sa susunod na 5 araw. Magsisi ka man, wala ka nang magagawa.

"Ano Meng, okay ka lang ba dito? Ano hitsura nung kuwarto? Hala! Wala man lang palang kama o papag, ano tutulugan mo?

"Ano ka ba kuya Poch, umasa ka ba? Hindi ito hotel or resort. Buti nga may tutuluyan pa tayo. Wala kaya tayong na-displaced na pamilya dito?"

"Most probably meron o baka bagong kubo ito. Hindi kaya mabilasa ang beauty ko rito? So malamang sa malamang, walang shower. Teka, wala rin yatang banyo. Eeew! Uwi na kaya tayo Meng? Hindi yata ako tatagal dito ng isang linggo."

"Don't worry kuya Paolo, limang tulog na lang, Lunes na ngayon. Kailangan tayong bumaba sa Sabado kung ayaw nating mag-Rambo si Tatay. Limang tulog na lang at makakahiga ka na sa kama mo. Kaya pagbigyan mo na ko, tutal andito na tayo."

They heard kuya Wally and kuya Jose's excited voices as they enter the hut.

"Hello everybody!"

"Di ba exciting 'to! Magkakasama tayo sa iisang bahay?"

Ha?!? Wait, did she hear it right? Dito sila lahat tutuloy? Pati siya, who must not be named?