52 - Of Lemons and Apple Juice

A/N : "When life throws you Lemons, make Apple Juice and leave the world wondering how the hell you did it." - Anonymous

Kuya Manny continued staring at the two sitting opposite him at the dining table of Mendoza's residence where they are holding a meeting of sorts, contemplating RJ's suggestion. It was already Sunday afternoon. They thought of (a) just releasing the official statement that they prepared, (b) Meng holding a mini press conference, (c)grant one reporter an interview. They need to do something fast.

"Paolo, kumusta ang lagay ng story online?"

Paolo looked at Meng before he answered. "The Mindoro thingy is starting to get a life of its own. Nanganganak na siya. Iba-ibang story na ang nagsusulputan. Kanya-kanya na sila ng theories. Some are calling Maine and RJ all the names they could think of. Medyo damay na sila Tito because they know they flew with us from Mindoro."

"What names?" Meng asked as RJ held her hand. He knows she's strong but not when her family is affected.

"You wouldn't want to know. Basta insan, stay away from social media today."

"May masama ba sa ginawa namin? Anong masama na nagpunta ko sa bundok as my vacation? Bakit nilalagyan nila ng malisya? What's wrong with that?" She asked in exasperation.

"Nothing is wrong with that except they don't know the whole story so they can only speculate. The other camp only need to release one tidbit of wrong information and let other people do the rest. What they are doing is questioning your clean image."

"Kuya Manny, alam mong I've never cared about how people think of me pero this is getting out of hand. Ang dami nang nadadamay na tao."

"That's why RJ's suggestion is becoming more attractive by the minute, taking you out of the equation so it will leave only him and his crazy antics. But we need a personality with impeccable credibility."

"Yes, and we need to do it in a way that will look as if we're not reacting to his statements, it should appear like Meng is just telling her story." RJ elaborated.

"I think I know just the right person for the job." Kuya Manny told them the name.

"Pero Kuya Manny, will she do it and at such a short notice? Hindi ba parang kakalabanin niya sariling talent ng station niya?"

"She's one of the most reasonable and fair personalities I know in the industry plus ang tagal na niyang nag-iinvite sa 'yo to guest again on her show. I need to make some phone calls. I'll be back."

They waited in silence, holding each others' hands as Kuya Manny tried to call his contacts at the network. They held their breath when he finished his phone calls waiting for the answer.

"She said yes!" everybody in the room threw their fists in the air rejoicing, when Meng's manager continued "... but on one condition."

"What?" all of them asked in unison.

"She wants to do it live and even bump it up for next week's episode only if RJ will join the interview."

---------------------

"Sigurado ka Ricardo? Ikaw nag-suggest ng solution. Wala nang atrasan 'to." Meng asked RJ for the nth time over the phone as she prepares to go to bed.

He replied in the affirmative. She can still picture how he turned red in the face when he realized the implication of his own recommendation.

"Did you hear from the university?"