19 - Reality Bites

Photo credit: http://www.jacobimages.com/2012/12/the-mangyan-of-mindoro

A/N: Konting hugot pa, pasasaan ba at makakaahon din tayo.

MENG

The smile froze on her face as she tried to digest what he just said. She couldn't have been more surprised had he allowed her to fall off the cliff. "Pakiulit?"

"Hindi ko uulitin dahil hindi ka bingi. Alam kong narinig mo yung sinabi ko. I told you last night that this is my trip, my plan. It has to be on my terms and conditions. I just did what I had to do to get what I wanted and you fell for it. It's that simple. Nothing more, nothing less."

Yes, she heard it but she can't believe he said it after hours of that easy camaraderie. No, she can't believe she became gullible for the past 4 hours. She searched his face for any sign that this is some kind of a joke or prank just like the one he pulled off about insect but his eyes looked serious. Very serious.

So he was just acting all along? All the laughter and smiles? All the insightful questions that seems to say he's interested in hearing her opinion? And I fell for it, big time? But you cannot reveal how you feel. Her training as an artist kicked in. You know the drill Meng. Just like how you don't show emotion in front of a hostile reporter.

"Okay, you're right, i heard it. Loud and clear, RJ. I can still call you that or should we go back to 'mister' and 'miss'? But since you don't care about my decision, there's no point in answering, right?"

She stepped aside "Excuse me", picked up her backpack and turned to him. "Oh and don't worry, I'll keep out of your way when we get there, as agreed upon. Correct me if I'm wrong. 'To each his own', did I remember it correctly?"

She did not wait for his response, but immediately resumed the hike. To avoid his look and to compose herself. Whatever.

Ang tanga mo Meng! Ang tanga-tanga mo! She continued her brisk pace, even if her legs are about to give in. Even if she suddenly felt that her feet are killing her in pain. Even if she found it hard to catch her breath, whether it's because of the pressure due to height or the ache she feels in her heart because of what just transpired.

She doesn't know and she doesn't care either.

---------------------------------

RJ

He followed and watched her hurried steps as she hiked the rest of the slope but he deliberately slowed down. He tried to keep up with her just close enough so he can still go and rescue her should something go wrong with her footing. It's good that the rest of the slope was not as steep as the one they just climbed. And she seems to be doing just fine.

The comfort he felt just sitting beside her on the slope and the fear he experienced earlier when she almost lost her balance, coupled with his heart skipping a beat with her bright smile were the nails on the coffin of confusion and inner conflict he had been dealing with since their trek started. They caused him to make up his mind right there and then to say those words.

The sigh that escaped from him mirrors his thoughts. She's not like anyone I know. She doesn't fit the pattern. That's all there is to it.

He rarely acted on impulse before, everything has to be thought of and planned. But for the second time in two days, he did just that. First one was at the Ranger Station when he decided to bring them along, then this. And all because of this stranger.

He should have been alarmed when he realized that she can bring back habits long forgotten. That 'insect prank' he pulled on her earlier in the trek was RJ of three years ago. Back when his parents were still alive. Back when he still believe you can look at the world with rose-colored glasses.

Oh, the truce? That was planned, sort of. It was really one of his contingency plans. Which, he realized now, back-fired on him. Big time. He miscalculated her effect on his peace of mind. He enjoyed it more than he should have.

Other girls would have openly flirted with him by now under the same situation they are in. Those types he could easily handle but not this one. There's depth and innocence about her that brings out his protective nature. And more, if he is to be honest with himself.Yes, he noticed her interest, he's not blind. But at the same time, he also saw the confusion and the conscious attempt to hold back and stop herself.

Now, with his pronouncement, she is not just annoyed, she's angry. Judging by her movement, she seems to have found renewed energy at the speed she's hiking just to be able to get away from him.

From beginner to average, real quick.

Mas maganda nang magalit siya kesa umasa sa wala. Oh he saw the early signs - and he can read the sign a mile away. Better this way, Meng. Believe me.

But what if he's just being paranoid and maybe over-reacting when he said those words? Baka wala lang naman yung interes niya or he might have imagined it? Maybe he's just assuming things. What if she's just being friendly? What if that's her nature and personality? But no, if there's a shadow of truth, better to nip it in the bud. Better to be safe than sorry.

Yes, he did the right thing. Kahit may kurot siyang naramdaman sa puso when her smile disappeared and he saw the momentary pain in her eyes as if he dealt her a physical blow. Even if his determination wavered a little when he saw the questions in her eyes as his words started to sink in. Even if he wanted to take his words back the minute she turned away and started walking. Because he was expecting her to throw his words back at him. Because he was expecting her to express her anger.

Because at the back of his mind, a question lingers. Will she keep the truce or not?

.

.

.

.

.

..Because I lied, I do care. A lot.

A/N: Silence, please. May pinagdadaanan. He needs to loosen up, I know.