Chapter Fifty-Two

"What did you do?" I snarled, approaching Lucius and Narcissa. Lucius looked at me in shock and failed to answer.

"Don't pretend you don't know what I'm talking about!"

"I assure you, Leah, I'm not pretending," he stood slowly from his desk. 

"Lucius," Narcissa sighed. My gaze snapped over to her.

"It's not that we've done anything. But Draco is getting older and we wanted to make sure he understood Pureblood practices and expectations. Including arranged marriages. We made the mistake of telling him a few families have already made us offers; we're a good, wealthy family there are plenty of Pureblood's who want their daughter's with Draco. I believe he thinks we mean to accept one of those offers. This has nothing to do with you, Leah, I think he's just distraught as well and can't keep a handle on his emotions. I'm sure he never meant to hurt you."

"Do you?" I narrowed my eyes.

"Do we what?"

"Intend to accept an offer."

"Of course not! Leah, we've already accepted you as our own. We just wanted to discuss with him how this should be navigated, but instead, he seemed to think he was going to have to break up with you. That's not going to be the case."

"You're sure that's all?"

"Yes darling, that's everything. I was hoping you were Draco, actually. I wanted to clarify. I will as soon as he returns."

"Leah?" someone called.

"Speak of the devil," I walked out of the room and over to the staircase. 

"I'm up here. You do know your parents aren't accepting a marriage proposal right?"

"They're not?" he frowned, coming up to meet me.

"No, dumbass. They just wanted to inform you that there were offers to begin with. And tell you how to navigate rejecting them."

"Oh," he said with wide eyes.

"Leah, I'm so sorry I was so hot and cold with you. I thought I was going to have to leave you... I'm sorry. I should've talked things over instead of sitting in my emotions."

"It's okay darling. I'm just thankful nothing is actually wrong."

"Aside from your parent's being dead," he raised an eyebrow and I groaned, launching into an endless rant of how annoying it was going to be to pretend.

***

Hogwarts, After New Years

"Okay, so how are you going to stay underwater for an hour?" Pansy asked as we sat in the library, doing our Charms essay.

"I guess some serious morphing," I shrugged.

"You can do that?" she asked in disbelief.

"I'm going to practice morphing myself some gills, hopefully, it'll work," I explained.

"That's so cool," she whispered.

"Leah!" Potter called as we passed each other and I turned around with a smile.

"Hey, have you figured out everything you need for the second task?" he asked.

"Just about," I nodded.

"Lucky," he groaned.

"You'll do really well, I promise!" I smiled, and he smiled back.

"Thanks, I've got to research more on mine though, so I'll see you tomorrow!" he called, walking off.

"I'm gonna win," I decided.

"Well duh," Pansy giggled. We wrote our essays with determination and then McGonagall interrupted.

"Ms. Loveland, do you know where Mr. Malfoy is?" she asked and I shrugged.

"No, haven't seen him," I shook my head.

"I'm here," he said, walking up.

"Ah, I need you to come with me," said sternly and he put his books next to me.

"Is everything okay?" he asked.

"Everything is fine, a student simply needs tutoring and I wanted to speak to you about possibly helping them."

"Of course, Professor," he turned to me, "I'll see you in the common room later tonight. We need to get you pumped for tomorrow."

"Okay, see you," I smiled. They walked off, and I put my school supplies away, ready to turn in for the night. I saw McGonagall return and retrieve Granger and Weasley, who must've been with Potter. I went back up to the common room and waited.

A few hours passed and Draco hadn't returned. He must already be doing a tutoring session.

"Pansy, I'm gonna go to bed. Tell Draco I'll see him tomorrow, will you?" I asked with a yawn.

"Sure, good night!" she smiled and I wandered upstairs. I laid in bed for a while and Pansy didn't come up anytime soon. I tossed and turned, so excited yet nervous for the next task. Pansy came up finally, yawning as she opened the door.

"Draco here yet?" I asked and she looked in my general direction since it was pretty dark.

"No, isn't that bizarre?" she whispered and I just fell silent. Why wouldn't Draco have come back?