Chapter Forty-One

I woke up the next morning feeling really good. I smiled and got out of bed quickly, taking a nice shower. Once I was done that, I searched my wardrobe. Pansy was walking around like a zombie. Probably because she was busy talking to Blaise all night. "Pansy?" I asked.

"Hm?" she asked, looking through her trunk.

"Should I do a cat eye today?" I asked.

"Meaning the makeup or actually make your eyes like a cat?" she asked. I smiled brightly and shook my head. I blinked and made my eyes like a cat.

"Leah, I don't know whether that's cool or freaky," she laughed. 

I didn't see Draco until Potions, I'm assuming he skipped breakfast.

"Oh shit!" he blurted, looking at my eyes.

"Thanks, that's totally the reaction I wanted," I said sarcastically.

"That's so cool," he raised his eyebrows.

"Thanks," I nodded and then sat down. Pansy sat with Blaise as per usual, Draco was forced to sit with Clarissa, and Crabbe and Goyle were together obviously, so I sat by myself. I didn't mind, it gave me time to think. Severus started going on about making a sleeping potion, but I knew how to do that already. I felt a cold blast of air, and Severus fell silent, narrowing his eyes at something in the back of the room. I turned around, being in the front, and saw the doors open, and a boy our age walking in. I've never seen him before. His hair was really dark; darker than mine if possible, and he had crystal blue eyes that were really noticeable in the dungeons low light.

"Hello professor," he smiled, and he had a really smooth voice.

"I'm sorry I'm late, Professor Dumbledore was speaking with me," he apologized.

"I see, Alexander Carrow is it?" he asked and the boy nodded.

"Class, we have a new student," Severus drawled.

"He is a Slytherin," he said, pausing to let the excited whispers die down.

"Who is transferring from America," he said, though he looked a bit irritated. The new boy walked to the front and handed Severus a piece of parchment which he snatched quickly.

"Alex Carrow... as in the death eater Carrow siblings?" Clarissa called out from a few rows back.

"Yes the very same," he sighed.

"So you're their son?" she asked.

"Well I'm Amycus's son," he said, shifting uncomfortably.

"Clarissa, shut up!" I snapped and she glared.

"Are you going to make me?" she asked, raising her eyebrows. I slammed my book down and stood up, taking out my wand; she did the same.

"Leah, sit down!" Pansy demanded the same time Severus shouted,

"Ms. Loveland!"

"Sit down! Ten points from Slytherin," he commanded, and Alex was smirking at me.

"She was asking for it!" I snapped. He gave me a sharp look and I folded my arms, glaring out the window.

"What did you do to your eyes?" he asked wearily.

"Nothing," I shrugged and he shook his head.

"Mr. Carrow, sit next to Ms. Loveland, but be careful. She's temperamental," he drawled and I narrowed my eyes at him. Alex sauntered over and Severus let us start our potions.

"Hey, I'm Alex," he smiled, holding out his hand. I shook his hand and nodded.

"Leah," I said, and then leaned back. Draco walked by with Clarissa on his arm and I glowered at her. She gave me a smug smirk, and I tapped my wand against the table, daring her to try me. She said something to Draco and then doubled back to my table.

"Still jealous, Loveland?" she asked.

"Don't start with me," I warned, but she didn't listen.

"Hm, well now you have a new boy toy," she said, laughing lightly.

"The only one who's ever had a boy toy is you," I snorted and she leaned in closer.

"That's not what I heard. Have fun with Weasley, let's hope I don't let something slip," she said, an evil glint in her eyes.

"Professor, can you get her away from me before I kill her!" I snapped.

"Ms. Moon, you were told to leave Ms. Loveland alone!" he snapped, taking her arm and giving her back to Draco. I waved to her with a smirk and she just wandered over to Weasley.

"Oh, she wouldn't dare," I hissed.

"What's going on?" Alex muttered to me. I shook my head and saw Weasley's eyes travel over to my hand with the ring on it. Clarissa made a sympathetic face and then said something else, which made Granger tense, and Weasley look over at Draco. I went to get up, but Alex grabbed my wrist, pulling me down.

"Don't go getting yourself in trouble," he frowned.

"She's going to blow my cover," I whispered angrily.

"Let me guess, you're toying with Gryffindor, but you're really a Slytherin? So, they think you're on their side...but you're not," he guessed. I nodded faintly and he laughed. I looked over at him, and couldn't help but laugh also. 

"Are you two refusing to make this potion?" Severus asked, standing in front of us.

"I've learned it already," I said with an eye roll.

"Ms. Loveland, I don't care what your 'mother' taught you, I'm teaching you now," he growled.

"I'm sure my father won't really care," I shrugged and he didn't say a word.

"Mr. Carrow?" he asked.

"I learned this in America," he shrugged.

"Fine," he said, obviously irritated. He walked away and I smiled.

"Welcome to Hogwarts, Carrow."