Chapter Nineteen

Draco sat down on the couch in our common room. I felt broken inside, as well as really truly happy that I had someone who now knew what I was hiding. I sighed and sat down next to him, facing the fire.

"Start with your parent's death," he said quietly.

"Well, I think they knew about it. In my adoptive family, we aren't very affectionate, and we never hug one another. So, yesterday they came into my room, gave me Alisana and hugged me and kept saying how much they loved me. I was really confused and thought they were just scared that we were leaving...but they knew. After they went back downstairs, it was deathly quiet and then Claire screamed. When I finally got downstairs my parents weren't in sight and when I asked where they were... a, um, cloaked figure dragged them in and left. They were dead, and Claire and I were officially orphans...so I thought." I said, pausing to look at Draco. He nodded slowly and then took a deep breath.

"You hugged Claire earlier, did you know they were going to take her...and then...you know," he said, referring to me killing her.

I shook my head, "No, I had no idea."

"Okay, then what happened?" he asked. I looked around to make sure that everyone was in bed and then continued.

"Severus dropped me off at my father's, and the cloaked figure, along with Fenrir, led me into the room we were just in. That's where my father told me who I was and how my parents put a spell on me so I didn't look so much like my real parents...but it didn't work as well as they wanted," I paused again, taking a deep breath and thinking of what to say next.

"You know what... when I was really young I remember your mother telling my mother they put a spell on you to hide your metamorphagus abilities. I only remember that because afterward, I drilled my mother about what those abilities were; I'd never heard the term before." 

"We're still not sure if I have the full abilities. I never grew up learning how to morph so I guess it's just going to have to come naturally."

"Then how'd your hair get from brown to black?"

"My father took off all the appearance spells they had on me. So this is what I really look like. So, anyway, he gave me a task, but I can't tell you what it is. He called me to him when Severus was leading us back here, so I wasn't really going to the loo. He told me in order to prove myself I had to kill Claire. So I did, and before I could, you and your father showed up. I wasn't ready for you to know, but I guess it's too late now," I said. Draco smiled and took my hand. I felt a nervous tingling in my stomach and frowned slightly.

"What's done is done," he whispered. I nodded and stared at the fire for a while.

"Can I see your mark?" I heard him ask quietly. I silently pulled up my sleeve and turned my arm over. Draco gasped and gently grabbed my arm, pulling me closer to him. My hair fell in front of my face and I looked up at Draco. His eyes were wide and his lips were set in an emotionless line. I looked down at my mark and watched it darken then lighten, all while slithering like crazy. Draco lightly traced it with his finger before releasing my arm.

"That's...well it's quite scary, to be honest," he admitted.

"I guess, but it makes me feel proud."

"Well, I don't care who your alliance is to. You are the most amazing girl I've ever met," he said, looking me in the eyes. I looked away.

"Draco...we just met. You know nothing about me. Not enough to know whether or not I'm 'the most amazing girl you've ever met.' Besides, you have Pansy."

"Look at me," he said softly. I glared but looked at him.

"I don't care," He said clearly before lightly kissing my forehead. I went to respond, but he just stood up and went into his dorm. I cannot believe he just did that. The nervous tingling in my stomach was still there, and I still felt the warmth of his hand on mine. What the fuck is happening to me?

**Draco's POV**

I sat on the couch and watched Leah's conflicted emotions quickly flicker across her delicate features. She looked really sad and broken.

"Start with your parent's death," I said quietly. She started explaining, and trust me, I was listening, but I couldn't stop thinking about the look on her face when she was about to kill Claire. She looked cold and heartless. I know she has a heart, I've seen her with Claire. At the very least, I'm glad that she's being open with me. She really needs someone like that. People probably avoid her because they think she's a bitch. All she needs is someone to talk to, and I am that someone. She may not realize that, but it's the truth. She paused to see my reaction and I nodded slowly, thinking about what she said.

"You hugged Claire earlier, did you know they were going to take her...and then...you know," I said, referring to her killing Claire.

She shook her head, "No, I had no idea."

"Okay, then what happened?" I asked. Leah looked around cautiously and then continued.

"Severus dropped me off and the cloaked figure, along with Fenrir, led me into the room we were just in. That's where my father told me who I was and how my parents put a spell on me so I didn't look so much like my real parents...but it didn't work as well as they wanted," she paused again, taking a deep breath.

"You know what... when I was really young I remember your mother telling my mother they put a spell on you to hide your metamorphagus abilities. I only remember that because afterward, I drilled my mother about what those abilities were; I'd never heard the term before."

"We're still not sure if I have the full abilities. I never grew up learning how to morph so I guess it's just going to have to come naturally."

"Then how'd your hair get from brown to black?"

"My father took off all the appearance spells they had on me. So this is what I really look like. So, anyway, he gave me a task, but I can't tell you what it is. He called me to him when Severus was leading us back here, so I wasn't really going to the loo. He told me in order to prove myself I had to kill Claire. So I did, and before I could, you and your father showed up. I wasn't ready for you to know, but I guess it's too late now." I understand now, and I feel stupid for not knowing that in the first place. 

"What's done is done," I whispered. I was a little upset and scared, but I told her I was with her one hundred percent. My curiosity about her mark got the batter of me though and I couldn't help but ask to see it.

"Can I see your mark?" I asked quietly. She silently pulled up her sleeve and turned her arm over. I gasped and gently grabbed her arm, pulling her closer to me. I saw her hair fall in front of her eyes, and I could feel her soft breathing on my face. She smelled like apples. The way the mark moved make me slightly sick to my stomach, but it was also fascinating. I lightly traced it with my finger before releasing her arm; I made no move to create space between us. I was oddly comfortable with our closeness.

"That's...well it's quite scary to be honest," I admitted. 

"I guess, but it makes me feel proud," she smiled. I realized that no matter what, I was always going to feel the same way about her.

"Well I don't care who your alliance is to. You are the most amazing girl I've ever met," I said, looking her in the eyes. Her face flushed and she looked away.

"Draco...we just met. You know nothing about me. Not enough to know whether or not I'm 'the most amazing girl you've ever met.' Besides, you have Pansy."

I almost groaned at the mention of Pansy again.

"Look at me," I said softly. She glared but looked over at me.

"I don't care," I said clearly before lightly kissing her forehead. Before she could yell at me, or turn me down, I stood up and walked away. I felt myself smile a little bit and it took all my strength not to turn back and hold her in my arms. I opened the door to my dorm and walked in to see Blaise looking over at me.

"What are you smiling about?" he asked tiredly. I shook my head and looked out the window, my thoughts never changing from Leah.