Chapter Forty-Four

I found myself at the bottom of the stairs and walked up them carefully. I hesitated outside the door and then walked in. I saw Barty and Wormtail hanging out. My dad was staring into the fire, not realizing I was here. Barty elbowed Wormtail, staring at me in surprise. Wormtail looked over and his eyes widened. I smiled and waved.

"Leah...that's..." Barty said, struggling to find the right words. Father looked over and smiled brightly.

"Leah dear, you look stunning," he said and I smiled.

"Thanks," I whispered. He motioned for me to come closer so I walked over to him and he looked me up and down.

"The top part is too revealing," he said and I laughed.

"Father," I said and he sighed.

"Okay, okay, I guess that's what kids wear these days," he said.

"You look beautiful, is that for the ball?" Barty asked and I nodded.

"Yes, it is. The only people that have seen it are Pansy and Blaise though," I smiled.

"Oh, not Draco?" my father asked curiously.

"I won't let him. Not even my date's seen it," I told him.

"Oh," father nodded.

"Did you know that Amycus Carrow had a son?" I asked, and I saw Barty smirk.

"Yes I did, Alex, correct?" Father nodded.

"Yeah, he just transferred to Hogwarts; he's my date," I said.

"Is he now?" he asked and I nodded.

"Actually, he and Draco asked me at the same time, but I told Draco 'no' because it's easier to just stay away from him," I sighed.

"Yet you are staying at his house?" my father asked and I felt myself blush.

"Well at school I'm not supposed to be friends with him. At home we can be friends, though," I said. He nodded and Barty was shaking his head at me; obviously amused.

"You've got it bad," he muttered and I glared at him.

"Leah, where's your mark?" Father asked, seeing my bare arms.

"Oh, I can change my skin, so nobody can see it. You'll never believe what I can do to my eyes!" I gasped, blinking so they looked like a cat again.

"How fun," Father smirked.

"Speaking of eyes, I don't know how much longer I can handle that fake eye you have to wear as Moody. It's creepy."

"I can see you even if you can't see me. So behave," he warned.

"No way," I shook my head.

"I heard you threatened to kill a student," Father chuckled.

"Yes I did," I nodded.

"Why?" he asked, but Barty answered for me.

"Clarissa always rubs the fact that she's dating Draco in Leah's face," he smirked.

"Um, no actually, it was more than that!" I snapped and he laughed.

"Oh was it?" he asked, trying not to laugh.

"Yes, it was!" I defended.

"Oh yeah, it's also because she always makes out with him in front of you," he teased and I glared.

 "That is not why!" I snapped and he laughed loudly.

"She called me a blood traitor and threatened to have father kill me."

"Plus she calls him Drakie," Barty grinned.

"Okay...yeah that's annoying I'll give you that one."

"She is head over heels. My Lord, I'm sorry but she is in love," Barty said, and then started laughing again.

"I do not love people," I said.

"Oh, so you'd kill him?" Barty asked.

"No!" I said quickly. My dad was watching me closely and then he sighed.

"Leah, who gave you that ring?" he asked. 

"Well...you know..." I fidgeted and Barty took a deep breath, composing himself.

"It was Draco," he smirked and I hit him.

"Barty!" I snapped and he tried not to laugh.

"She wears it every day and doesn't take it off. "

"Leah you cannot be with Draco at the moment," my father scolded.

"I'm not with Draco, I swear it. He's with Clarissa, and I'm keeping my flirtation with Weasley."

"And this new Alex kid?" Barty asked.

"We're only going to the ball as friends," I said firmly.

"As much as I like teasing her, she is doing a very good job keeping the Gryffindor's in the palm of her hand. Nobody suspects her of anything, they don't even think there's anything going on between Leah and Draco. But if I may, I'd like to say I think they'd be a good couple. Powerful, too. They could dominate all of Hogwarts together," Barty said and I gave him a soft smile. Father was silent for a few moments and then spoke.

"As your Christmas present, I am allowing you to date Draco," he said, and I felt the breath rush out of me.

"Really?" I whispered.

"Really. But don't destroy any relationships you already have with the Gryffindor's. If you think they'll be upset and turn their backs on you, don't you dare start dating him."

"Yes father," I nodded enthusiastically. He waved me away and I made my normal clothes appear back on me, sending my dress back to my room. Then, I apparated back to the manor.

I ended up in the middle of the living room, looking flustered, I'm sure. I still felt breathless.

"Leah?" Draco frowned.

"What happened?" Severus asked sharply.

"I went to show Father my dress, and he loved it. But then we started talking about dates. I told him how you asked me but I had to say no because it's easier, and then he realized I still have feelings for you."

"Is he angry?"

"Well, not quite. He said that as my Christmas present, we could be a couple again," I said and took Draco's hand.

"You're joking!" he exclaimed, not expecting that.

"Not at all," I grinned.

"Oh then I'm breaking up with Clarissa," he said immediately and then went off to find a quill and parchment.

"That's great news!" Narcissa said excitedly.

"I know!" I sighed.

"Congratulations," Lucius said and I smiled.

"Okay, I sent her the letter...can I still ditch her as my date to the Ball?" Draco asked.

"Yeah, as long as you don't mind going stag," I shrugged.

"Who are you going with?" Narcissa asked.

"Alex Carrow," I said.

"Oh, as friends?" she asked.

"Yeah, just friends," I nodded.

"That's great," she smiled and we talked the rest of the night until I was ready to pass out.

***