Chapter Seventeen

Last chapter ): BUT THERE IS GOING TO BE AN EPILOGUE! Watch for it! So, I'm really sad to see Cooper and Mila go, but sadly the story is over, guys ): And once the epilogue is out, you'll see I can't take it any further ): Enjoy, lovlies.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Seventeen

Three Days Later; Friday

I woke up to the soft buzz of my phone. My attempts to ignore it went unsuccessfully, and I begrudgingly reached over to see who was interrupting my beauty sleep. The screen flashed Cooper’s name.

“What the…?” I mumbled, rubbing my eyes furiously to make sure I wasn’t seeing things. Still, there it was, clear as day. Cooper’s name and number. Was this some kind of joke? “Hello?” I asked into the receiver, a little scared of what I might get in response. Didn’t they give all his stuff to his little cousin?

“Mila!” Coop’s voice greeted me brightly.

“Um…how are you calling me?”

“Don’t ask questions, I just figured I’d call you before I randomly showed up in your room.”

“But you-”

“Never did before, I know. Whatever. Are you awake and dressed? ‘Cause I’m coming.”

“Yeah?” Without another word the other end went dead, leaving me with a fogged, sleep heavy mind that was trying to figure out what just happened. Early morning light poured in through the small opening between my curtains, the only other light besides the glowing blue numbers on my alarm clock. I groaned softly and buried my face in a fluffy pillow when I realized it was only seven in the morning.

“Good morning, Sleeping Beauty!” A way too perky voice rang out in the room.

I threw the pillow in his direction, “I hate you.”

I felt the bed dip beside me, “Love you, too!” He threw his arms around me and squeezed so tight it felt like all the air was being drained from my lungs.

“Let go!” I gasped, shoving him with all the strength I possessed. He let out a throaty chuckle and ruffled my hair.

“Someone’s not morning person.”

“Obviously,” I muttered, sitting up and throwing the blankets off my legs. “Why are you in such a good mood?”

 He shrugged and laid back, folding his hands behind his head, “I’m trying to keep up a positive attitude. Today’s the day we’re going to see my last hope to finding my killer. That woman.”

I ran a hand through my tangled blonde hair and sighed, “I’m going to go shower.”

“Go for it. I’ll be here, staring at your ceiling when you get back.”

With much effort on my unsteady legs, I pulled myself off the bed and trudged over to my dresser to grab a fresh pair of clothes. I shut and locked the bathroom door behind me, even though that couldn’t stop Coop if he really wanted in. I picked up a wide brush and started smoothing out the knots in my hair while adjusting the water to a steaming hot temperature. Once it was perfect, I quickly stripped down and stepped under the warm spray. Out in my room the sound of rustling papers met my ears. Who knows what that boy was getting into?

Honestly, I wasn’t all that thrilled about going to this next suspect’s house. What were we supposed to do if it was her? Or her husband? Go to the cops? I couldn’t tell them why I think she committed the crime without bringing Cooper up, and I couldn’t bring him up without getting put in a mental hospital. Besides, my parents thought me and Mike were going out today and they thought we went out a few days ago, how would I explain to them that I’d been on a murder-hunt this whole time? Parents don’t like to hear that stuff from their sixteen-year-old daughter.