Chapter 56

I've never thought of how I wanted to die. I always hated the thought of dying by using my last word, though it's probably the best way to go. It is a sudden death. You don't even have a moment to realize you will die.

When I killed my dad, he didn't have a moment to realize what was happening, either. I imagine neither death is necessarily painful.

But I will suffer. Every inch of my body screams, either from injury or from the intense, nearing heat. The tears I'd been trying to contain start to fall uncontrollably.

For a moment, I would rather live a Movement life until my last word failed me. At least then I wouldn't have to feel a pain like this. What was I thinking trying to make a difference? My failure was inevitable. The Free Speaks and the Movement are both more powerful than I could ever be. Unfortunately, the earlier got to me first, so I will die a harrowing death.

The flames inch closer again, warning me that they're ready to attack. A small bit periodically lick my skin softly. I almost drop my head in defeat when a figure appears in front of me. I'd been so caught in my thoughts that I hadn't seen anyone enter the burning room.

"I'll thave you. You 'ave to thtop my brother." I watch as sweat glides through Christopher's thin, gray hair while he works on undoing the chains on my left side with the infamous, missing key. He gets my hand free just as the flames try to jump again. I yank myself away just in time as they launch toward me. When my right leg is free I pull it closer to make the pain cascading through it a little more comfortable.

My last hand is freed. I take a moment to make eye contact with Christopher. The awareness in his eyes is comforting. He's freed himself from Michael's constant control for a moment. Although a part of him will always be dead from the experience, Christopher is alive right now. He is strong, stronger than I or Michael could ever be. "Thank you."

Christopher shakes his head. "No, thank you. Now go thave them. Go thave everybody."

I nod slowly, then hobble past Christopher. I have to drag my leg after me. Halfway across the room, I'm almost engulfed by a set of flames. I can feel the heat on my skin as I dive away, but I miss the flames themselves. I don't make the landing and fall onto my knees. My right leg bursts into more pain. When I try to stand and take another step, my leg falls into a gaping hole in the ground.

For a moment, I'm sure that it'll all end here, and I almost give up. I don't have the strength to pull myself out of the hole that has encased my entire, injured leg. I roll onto my side as flames spread around me. This time, the fire sears my shirt.

I'm pulled up by my armpits to stand on the uneven ground. The old, wooden floor has scraped my Taser wound raw. Blood drenches my pant leg. My writhing on the floor had already extinguished the flames.

An arm wraps around my right side and pulls me forward. Christopher is letting me use him as support to cross the room. He mutters to himself about change and saving, but I can't here anything specific over the roar of the fire. I stare at the old man in amazement as he works to help me, even if he hardly knows me.

My leg is overcome with pain. I double over as the serge works through me, trying not to wail into the burning air. I can't breath anymore.

"Watch out!" I glance over to see a spread of flames is moving toward us. Before I can register the change, I'm falling to the ground just outside the doorway of my prison cell.

The cool metal of the hall on my skin is the best feeling I've had in a long time. It almost calms me so much that I forget everything around me. The heat from the flames on the bottom of my feet brings me back to reality.

I turn quickly. "Christopher!" I wail at the flames. The doorway is covered with fire--how is he getting out? Tears pour out of my right eye; my left is incapable of anything--I can't even see out of it.

My whole body is weak from pain and sorrow, but I know I have to go. Today is Saturday. Michael must be running his meeting by now. He'd left me for dead so he could instigate his plan in peace.

But I won't let him.

So many people have died in the wake of his reign, so many innocent, good people who didn't deserve it. But no more will.

And I'll make sure of it.    

--

A/N: This chapter literally breaks my heart every time I read it. Okay, so the next chapter is going to be super chill but it leads us into the FINAL chapter! I'm posting chapter 57 right after this one goes life, so look out for it. And the last chapter will be posted on FRIDAY!!!!

So continue on, and let me know what you think!

Ali :)