Chapter 6

A figure limps under the light source in the entranceway, illuminating him like a performer on a stage. He doesn't seem very tall—he can't be much taller than I—but the confidence he exudes makes him the tallest in the room. Though, it is in a way that makes my skin crawl. Matted, graying hair sticks to the side of his lean, skull-like face. His dark eyes stand off his face like beacons against the pale skin. They trace the room carefully.

When they land on me, my heart begins to race.

He stares at me for a long time. I almost think we've all been frozen in our places. Finally, Xander hurries forward. His echoing footsteps break the silence in the room.

"I-I have to go, uh, work." He turns back to me as an afterthought. "I'll come later to bring you dinner." I don't know what dinner is, but I nod anyway. As long as Xander is returning, I'm fine with whatever he may be bringing.

"I'll come with you." Brody starts after him, but Jeremii catches his arm as he hurries by. The boy jolts to a halt and flashes Jeremii an irritated glance.

"And I'll have a word with you at home tonight."

With a huff, Brody yanks his arm from his father and hurries past the entryway. As soon as he passes Michael, his venom returns and he shoots me a threatening glare. He disappears through the exit.

When the door clangs shut, Michael starts a slow saunter toward me. "Taeo Ramm," he says slowly, as if my name is foreign to him. The way he pronounces his vowels is different than I'm used to. Both aspects of his speech put me in a state of unease. An intrigued smile crosses his face, unveiling teeth the color of ivory. "I've been waiting to meet you for some time now." His eyes find my mouth and he stares at my lips with an odd fascination before finding my eyes again. Each word he says is deeply thought out. With how deep his voice is I have to listen closely to hear his words as they reverberate through the room.

I stare back at him, trying to make my gaze seem unwavering.

Michael continues, "Welcome to the Underground Infiltration Project. I thought I would personally wander down this way to introduce myself. I'm Michael Dennet, leader of the UIP." He holds his hand out to me. I stare at it, unsure of what to do with it. I almost hold my Tag out to him, but he already knows my name.

With a chuckle, he tucks his hand back at his side. He begins to circle me, limping at a slow pace. I don't move my eyes to follow him. I stare straight ahead. Maybe if I can act unfazed by this man he'll leave. His gaze and persona make every part of me uncomfortable.

After circling twice, he begins to talk again. I miss his first few words as his voice registers in my brain, or maybe he never said them. "—you have questions?" He laughs heartily to himself. "I know you have them. Ask away. This is your time, Taeo."

He stops in front of me. We are distanced by a foot of space, though it feels like Michael is on top of me. I gulp down a breath and clench my lips, hoping my eyes convey the stubbornness I want them to portray. Michael mutters to himself and glances at Jeremii, who I'd nearly forgotten was in the room. "What's wrong with 'im?"

"We don't think he speaks, sir."

"Ah." Michael raises his eyebrow and continues to circle me. The saunter makes me uncomfortable. I have to work to keep my breathing even. "How interesting this has become: the son of the beloved Movement leader doesn't speak. Maybe we blessed the Movement with your departure rather than hurt it."

I glare at him. Implying my nothingness makes my skin boil. I don't like the feeling--anger. I've only felt it once, and it completely changed me into someone I didn't like, someone who wasn't me. My last bout of Transmitters must be wearing off; it's past morning. I cross my arms over my chest as the anger burns through my veins. I've never wished for my Transmitters as much as I do in this moment. I can't even control my quickening breath any more.