Chapter 13

When I step out of the bathroom, Xander is sitting in the apartment, eagerness spread across his long features. The music plays softly in the background. "Taeo!" He grins and rises. Baya hops up, wrapping an arm around Xander's waist. He throws an arm over his shoulder and they both laugh with glee. I know the touch is platonic. The friendliness of it makes me smile.

"We have some place to show you." Baya says through giggles. They must have been joking around before I even came out of the bathroom. I don't know what they find funny, but I'm glad they are full of joy.

I scruff my wet hair and leave the towel to sprawl on the top of the bathroom door. I grab my jacket from the hook on the door and pull it over my shoulders.

"You won't need that," Xander protests, pulling the jacket off my shoulders and throwing it onto the chair. My instinct is to keep it with me, keep the book. I can't draw attention to it like that.

I tear my eyes from my discarded jacket and find Xander's own. I smile widely and give my own little laugh.

"Let's go!" Baya is out the door before she can even finish the statement. Xander slaps me on the shoulder and runs after her. Hesitantly, I follow, making sure the door is closed tightly behind me.

Baya and Xander race down the hall, giggling like little children do. I haven't felt a joy like this in a long time. I can't help but run after the two, smiling brightly. I don't completely understand why I'm happy. Maybe it is my own excitement, maybe I'm just keying into my friends' happiness. Our footsteps echo down this darker, stone hallway that stemmed off a hall in the living quarters. The air is cold in this hallway, not controlled like the air throughout the rest of the building. Something about this part of the floor is natural. Artificial lights line the walls, giving off a dim glow as we race farther and farther down it.

Finally, the hall gives way to a high-ceilinged space. As soon as we round the corner, the sound of flowing water begins to waft from wall to wall and mist cools the air, sending a chill up my skin. A pool of water is set in a formation of rocks, in no particular shape. There are high ledges to jump from, and areas where the rocks give way to the height of the pool. From the ceiling comes an array of colors. I look up to find stained glass has been set along the entirety of the ceiling. Artificial light twinkles behind it, sending a wave of color down to shine along the water's surface. The water is so pure that I can see each rock that rests along the bottom of the man-made pool, even the parts that look almost ten feet deep. Age seeps through the room, an age I can't relate to. There is history in these walls that I can't even begin to imagine.

Xander immediately pulls his t-shirt over his head and strips off his jeans. He stands in nothing but his boxers. He abandons his clothes on a rock formation and moves toward a cliffed rock. With a yell, he hurls himself over the edge and into the water ungracefully. A large splash bounces from the water that barely misses Baya and I.

Laughing, Baya follows suit, pulling her top over her head so she stands in a tank top. She pulls off her bottoms to reveal running shorts. She glances back at me with a glowing smile. "Come on, Taeo! We can jump in together." She reaches her hand toward me. I can vaguely hear Xander splashing below us.

Slowly, I undress until I'm in my boxers as well. I find Baya's eyes as they rake up my torso. I glance at my body to find bruises and broken skin litters my flesh. I almost pull away from Baya to put my clothes back over the injuries, but Baya holds tighter to my palm. She takes a step closer, running her soft, cold fingers up my side. I cringe slightly, but don't move away. Carefully, I grab her other hand and hold it in mine. She takes a moment to find my eyes again. For a second I'm lost. I don't need to swim in this pool as long as this ocean flows before me. With a tender touch, I turn Baya to face the pool. My hand grips hers tightly. We move to the edge of the pool to stand on the overhang, only a foot above the water. I raise my eyebrows.

Her oceans shine. She nods once, with strength. Even though my body races with anxiety about the water before me, I can't help but want to jump with Baya by my side. Together, we leap into the water.

I know I want this leap to be the first of many.

--

A/N:

Hello all and HAPPY FRIDAY! I hope your weeks are going well!

If you enjoy enjoyed this chapter, vote, comment, add it to your library (if you haven't already)! 

I'll see you all on Tuesday with a little snippet from Taeo's past! 

Alisha :)