Chapter 48

Brody finds us soon after with a message from Jeremii. We all should meet in their apartment. He doesn't know what for, but it must be important. The five of us have tried to avoid each other as much as possible since my dinner with Michael. Suspicion is the last thing we want from his end. If Jeremii is meeting with us, suspicion must be the least of his worries. This news could be great or terrible for us all as we attempt to work toward ending Michael's plan. That's all we are doing right now--no matter what call I've gotten to lead some new society, I won't have a leg to stand on with Michael's antics around.

Jeremii finally wheels himself into his apartment after an hour of waiting. His face is frazzled as he works his way through his door.

"It's happening." He maneuvers himself as close to us as he can. With Brody lounging in the desk chair, Jeremii can't work himself in between an easy chair and his son, so he has to sit farther back. Even for having a larger apartment, the room is still too small for the family.

My heart immediately begins to race at the statement. Everyone exchanges hurried looks. All of our hearts sink.

Michael is going to enact his plan.

"How do you know?" Brody demands. His natural inclination to fight his father is strong. The reaction comes from his fear, I find.

"He told me."

The room is tense as we let this sink in. This is either a great piece of information--Michael trusts Jeremii--or the worst news we've gotten yet--He knows we all know. I rise from a folding chair, unsure of what to do. All four of them stare at me. I haven't said much in over a week. I told them about what happened with Michael, and that was about it. "How long?"

"A week. He's holding a meeting Saturday to implement it. He'll say he's finally got the technology for Transmitters." He gulps. His hands are taut on his wheels.

"This is going to be terrible," Merda mutters into her hands.

"We're not even getting the worst end of it--his main goal is to use his 'Transmitter' technology on the Movement. He'll just use us to put that into action," Baya speaks up. She's been sitting quietly since she got here. I haven't spoken to her in private since before my dream. She's kept to herself most of this week--she started a job so she's been working long hours. No one's been able to see much of her and her ocean eyes.

Brody thinks for a moment. "So if we stop his plan down here, we stop it everywhere?"

"For the moment we can." Jeremii sighs. "I have friends in the Movement..."

"Don't worry, Jeremii. We'll save them." Merda puts a hand on his shoulder.

Jeremii casts her a look I can't read. My eyes clutch tightly to his face, trying to read every tick for the remainder of the conversation. What is he trying to hide? "We have to worry about ourselves before we need to worry about them. I have to figure out where Michael's keeping the Transmitters...." Jeremii glances at his watch, then runs a hand through his hair. "It's almost curfew. You guys should all go. I--that's all I have right now."

The girls and I slowly rise and exit the apartment. No one says a word, we only think of the inevitable. I contemplate who else to bring on our team in the next few days--I don't know anybody else as well as these five. Who can help us? Maybe Jonah and Paul would be a good fit. Hawk, too. We have to assemble a strong team before Saturday, or the whole world could pay for it.

We have to stop Michael.

--

A/N:

Let me just tell you that things are getting REALLY interesting from here. The action shall definitely start to fall. You are in for a wild ride of twists and turns these next few chapters!

I'll be posting another chapter tomorrow (just to be a kind soul), so look out for it!

In the meantime, have a nice day!

Alisha :)