Chapter 35

Brody arrives at ten thirty to head out on our trek to the Movement. I sit in one of the chairs in the living room for a moment without moving. I let my head lay between both of my legs and take a few deep breaths.

I'm about to go against everything I've been raised for.

I dress myself in the clothes that the UIP provided, complete with typical Movement, white slacks and a jacket with a large hood. I take the white-painted Taser and slip it into my belt the way Michael directed me to at an earlier point. I put the white mask Michael provided in my jacket pocket. I cross to the brown jacket Jeremii gave me and pull the book out. I almost place it in my other pocket, but leave it on the kitchen counter instead.

"You ready to go?"

I glance at Brody. He's dressed exactly as I am except he looks extremely out of place clad all in white. It makes his skin seem dirty. It's obvious he isn't from the Movement. I guess that's partially what the masks are for, though.

I nod, removing my hand from the book's cover. He moves quickly out of the room. I follow, but I glance back before I step out and into the apartment that could have once been Xander's. I know that if he were alive, he would be coming on the demonstration as well; then, Baya would have never had to volunteer.

For only knowing him such a short time, I know that without a doubt he was one of the best friends I've had. He'd actually cared about me and what I thought. I haven't had a friend like that in a long time, not since Jordan moved away.

Right now, he'd be pushing me to smile. He would have talked me out of my anger at Baya long before we'd left.

I turn out the lights and hurry after Brody.

On the elevator up to the top floor of the UIP, two of the other men are present, Gary and Beau, I believe. They're quiet the whole time, their hands clasped in front of them as they fidget in the white clothing. I'm sure it feels like poison on their skin.

The door opens to reveal a small room. The other five are waiting, standing in a line. Baya is in place near the back of it. Brody maneuvers me to the front, giving me no opportunity to catch her eye or take a moment with her. We don't have time to stall.

Clae, or Hawk, as he likes to be called, takes the spot in front of me and guides us into a tunnel off the room. We walk for over ten, silent minutes in the metal hallway. Our footsteps echo in the silence.

Then, we make it to a door. I can't smell anything just outside of it; everything is sterile. The smell of flowers that'd been in our meeting room is even gone.

We've made it to the Movement.

--

A/N

The momentum's building! The next two updates are going to be full of action that you won't see coming (and some you might). Keep a close I on the updates! Things are shifting fast now!

Vote, comment, etc! I love all your feedback :)

Alisha :)