Chapter 32

The next day, Michael holds the meeting to announce his demonstration and assemble a team to aid in his attempt. It is hosted in a large meeting room that slowly fills with people. Everyone who enters claims a spot at the long, oak table. I count twenty-five chairs. Michael sits beside me at the head of the table. While we wait, he doesn't say a word.

I watch him while we do wait. His excited apprehension gives the room a surprisingly light feel. Never would I have thought Michael could make a room glow in a positive way. All the worry I had for him fades, and for a moment I believe he'll get me home.

Brody is the twenty-third person to arrive. He sits silently beside a large, rambunctious man and stares down at the table. He fidgets in his seat and bites his lip. His face is flushed and eyes are heavily bagged; he's either tired or had been crying--possibly both. I begin to stand to make my way toward him when another person enters the room to take the last spot at the table.

She's so small I can hardly see her past all the daunting Free Speaks around me. Her face is set stronger than theirs; her stubbornness is why she's here. The smell of an extravagant garden wafts through every nose. All eyes fall on her if only for a moment.

I don't simply glance; I can't take my eyes away.

Why is Baya here?

Baya makes sure to avoid my eye as Michael starts to speak. I settle back in my chair. "After our failed attempt at a video call, I've decided our next step in communicating our message to Mathis Ramm: a public demonstration. Taeo has already agreed to participate in the demonstration. We need a team of nine more to watch over him. I've invited all of you to this meeting because you are all strong, trustworthy, and willing to fight. Any of you could do the job. Now who is willing?"

One hand immediately rises across from me. As he holds his arm up, I'm able to read his Data Tag: Clae Hawk Brundi. One of his arm muscles is bigger than both of Brody's put together.

"Thank you, Clae." Michael smiles. A chill runs up my spine as his lips reveal his grin.

Other hands start to rise. Michael thanks them all in turn. Gary, with a scar cutting along the entirety of his face; Beau, tall with dark, pointed eyes; Clyde, who has so many tattoos I can't even see the color of his skin.

Then, Brody raises his hand. "I will." He finally finds my eye. Even with all the animosity that traveled between us in my first few days, I've found a great friend in Brody. We bonded with Xander's death. I don't think I'll ever know if Brody would have grown on me without losing the chipper boy, but I'm thankful he has. I couldn't ask for anyone better to have protect me. "Thank you, Brody."

Brody nods and puts his hand down.

Next, a tall, slim woman volunteers. Her hair is bright red and piercings litter her face--Henrietta. Two identical men take the seventh and eighth spots. They're large and expressionless--Andy and Jacob.

"We just need one more." Michael scans the rest of the table. I see the hesitation in everybody's eyes. No one actually wants to risk him or herself by going to the Movement. I'm almost convinced it'll just be our team of nine to volunteer when a slight hand rises toward the back of the table.

"I'll do it."

I stare at her with disbelieving eyes. She makes sure not to look in my direction, but keeps her own eyes steadily on Michael. She sits straighter than she normally does. Her other hand taps the table furiously.

Michael nods in approval. I know this not because I see him, but because of the smile that rises on Baya's lips. "Thank you, Baya."

"I'll meet with all of the volunteers separately in the next day to inform them of the plan I have in mind. You will each have a specific job you will need to perform to keep the demonstration on track. Until then, this meeting is adjourned. Thank you all for your presence and cooperation."

Everybody begins to leave but I don't move. I keep my eyes on the floor as the large men around me begin to make their way out. Brody hesitates behind his chair, but he can tell that something is wrong. He continues on his way out without a word. Even Michael leaves without saying anything.

And I'm left in the room alone, with just her.

I turn sharply and narrow my eyes, hoping all of the accusations come across as I would like. I start in the direction of her chair, which she is only starting to rise from.

"You're my friend, Taeo. I'm going to protect you the best I can. Michael did invite me for a reason, you know. I'm pretty handy in these kinds of situations."

I shake my head. No, no she's not going to protect me. I'm not going to let her. If she gets hurt I don't know what I'd do with myself.

"I'm not going to let you tell me what to do. I don't know if you were here or not, but my best friend died not even a week ago and I had to sit back and watch it happen. If something happens to you, too, and I'm not there to try to help, I.... I don't have anybody left, Taeo, so the people that are actually here are really important. You're probably the most important." She crosses her arms over her chest, catching her long, blonde hair under her skin.

The dilemma is that I'm feeling what I'm feeling for the same reason.

I point at her, then at the ground. She is staying. I will do everything in my power to keep her from coming.

"Stop being so selfish, Taeo. Just because you're important in the Movement gives you no power to tell me what to do. Whatever happened to freedom to live? Oh, that's right. The Movement is against that. You're all just puppets!"

My fists and teeth clench. Hot blood courses through my body. My arms tremble. Another bout of anger; I'm not a fan. I miss my Transmitters, my eternal peace.

Before I can do anything I regret, I turn and leave the room. Baya doesn't follow.

When I step out of the room I find that Brody is waiting just beside the door. He stands too stiffly to only have been waiting; he'd been listening and hadn't wanted to get caught. I throw him a look.

"Oh, uh, Michael said that we have an empty apartment for you. He thinks it's better that you have your own bed and stuff, you know, instead of sleeping on Baya's couch."

I nod. I think that soundsperfect.

--

A/N: Trouble in paradise? Hm. We'll have to see what happens from here, won't we? What are you guys thinking of these twists and turns?

Thanks for all your support. Vote, comment, etc! And I'm really antsy to get you guys to the really good stuff, so I'm going to double post on Friday, and then if all goes right, you should hit the climax the Friday after! So hold on tight, because that means you're only a week and a half out from the best part of the whole book (I am a really huge fan of my last half).

See you on Friday, then!

Alisha :)