Chapter 42

When we arrive at Jeremii's apartment, Brody is present. He snacks on a piece of half-rotted fruit as he perches on the kitchen counter. I make sure the door is closed tightly and ask. "Cameras?" My voice is hoarse and rough as I strain to use it.

Jeremii glances at his son, then back at me. He shakes his head. "Only in halls and on computers. Why?"

I take a ratty armchair as Brody abandons his fruit and moves into the living-room area. "Michael's keeping secrets."

"I know." My eyes find Jeremii's quickly. He is so sure; how did he also know? "That's why I wanted to talk to you." Jeremii wheels himself to a desk set where Merda's easel is and pulls the top drawer open. He removes a file of papers and hands them to me. Brody slips in beside me to read over my shoulder. "I found these on Michael's desk a few days ago."

"These are plans for a bomb." Brody scoffs. He can't wrap his head around the obvious fact. I read the file carefully; I can wrap my head around every single word. It only makes my own theory make so much more sense.

"Michael killed Xander," my voice is weak, tired from so much use. I wish I could transmit everything I want to say--it would be easier than having to convey what I want through spoken word.

"Why would he do that?" Brody's voice is distant; he must remember what Beau was doing on the surface during our demonstration--that Michael said he should kill me.

"We found a file he doesn't want anybody to know about."

I tell them everything--I tell them what I read, about the experiment Michael ran on converts--on me. I feel like I use every word I'd been given at my initial surgery in the explanation. I'm playing fate by speaking so profusely. It's necessary here--they have to know as well.

They have to know because I'm here to stop Michael.

I need to be the one who carries this group of Free Speaks in the right direction. It's what Merda gave me the book for. It's why I got the surgery to speak freely.

I've been charged by the author of the journal to pick up the Movement depravity and make something beautiful out of it. I need support from UIP members in order to get Michael out of power. His only mission is to make a society that only knows to follow him, no matter how wrong he is. That isn't even a society, and because of that I can't let this happen.

--

A/N:

Taeo's finally ready to accept his mission! Woo! Much more is to come, so keep updated! I won't be able to update until next week, so hold tight folks!