Chapter 22

Jeremii gives me another check up. The wires now aren't as cold as they had been. The sting isn't as painful. My levels, though, are deteriorating.

"You're stressed." He puts his face in his hands for a minute. "Of course you're stressed. I heard what happened with your dad's call today, and Xander said something about what happened with Merda--" He faces me in his chair. "And no one down here sleeps well, especially with Christopher singing at all hours of the night."

I nod. Every time I almost fall asleep, Christopher's songs haunt my dreams. And everything that's happened--my life has taken a complete one-eighty. I'm seeing everything from another side; no one can adjust to that easily, no matter how much tea they consume.

"Baya and Xander seem to be helping. It's always good to have some friends around."

He begins typing on his computer again. I wait patiently for him to continue. I know he's not done yet. Conversation holds heavily in the air. Jeremii is simply taking time to gather his thoughts. "Make sure to take care of Baya, okay?"

I scoff.

Jeremii grins. "I know you're a gentle person, Taeo, I just care a lot for Baya. She's basically been a daughter to me since she arrived. We got close on check-ups like these. I know from those times that she doesn't let just anybody in--only special people: Brody and I, Xander, now you. Don't take the acceptance lightly."

My lips turn up at the corners. I start to pull the wires off. Each leaves a small, red mark on my olive-toned skin.

As I pull the last off, Jeremii wheels his chair toward me. Reaching into my jacket, he pulls out the book Merda had given me. "Taeo, have you heard about our procedure we do down here?" He runs his hand over the plain, navy blue book cover like it's a sacred jewel he's getting the rare opportunity to touch.

I nod. Jeremii hands the book back to me. He lets go sooner than I can grab. The book falls to the floor and skids under the desk next to the examination chair. I roll my eyes and lean down to retrieve it, tucking it into my pocket securely.

"I think you should consider the operation, Taeo. You're--you're more than a captive at this point. You're--"

Jeremii never finishes his statement.

A deafening blast takes its place.

--

A/N

Boom. Literally. I told you something big was happening. On Tuesday we'll start to see the aftermath, so hang tight!

Vote and leave some comments. I love all your feedback!!

Alisha :)