Chapter 8

Through the night I struggle to sleep. Without my Transmitters, my body doesn't know how to fall asleep. I don't even know if I'm within my regulated sleep hours. Grogginess overtakes every muscle in my body.

After I finally give up on sleeping, I'm alone for a very long time. I'm also hungry again. My stomach screeches for food; it hadn't gotten enough at dinner. I hope I can handle more for breakfast.

Relief fills me when Xander finally comes around the corner. The genuine smile attached to his face helps me forget how terrible my body currently feels. Today he brings me eggs, white objects with a yellow center, and toast, crusty versions of the outer layers of the cheeseburger.

"Jeremii should be coming to see you today," he tells me as we eat. I'm able to eat breakfast without as much protest from my stomach. "He wants to check your health and make sure you're getting what you need. We've had problems with people from the Movement adjusting to our lifestyle. We can't provide the perfect mix of nutrients like you guys can. Some people adjust to that better than others. That's what Jeremii's here for. He'll take care of you, whatever you need. He knows more about all this than most of us."

I can see in his eyes how much he loves Jeremii. He seems to really believe in his goodness. I don't blame him; Jeremii had seemed incredibly patient and kind, admirable traits no matter which society you live in. There is no animosity in his bones; and it's natural, evident without Transmitters to make it so. I'm glad he's coming soon.

"I haven't introduced myself, have I?" Xander looks to me suddenly.

I shake my head. No, he hasn't officially introduced himself to me but I do know his name.

He holds his wrist to me the way someone from the Movement would. "Pretend it says, 'Alexander Thomas Masterson'."

I grin at his attempt to make me feel more in my culture and less in his. I hold my wrist out the way he does. The bottoms of our fists touch and the soft, black ink of my Tag is pointed toward him.

"I know your name already. We all do."

Right. They've targeted me because of my name. I pass him a wary eye.

"We're not bad, Taeo." He pushes his plate away without finishing it. I'm still hungry and eat at mine, slowly but surely. I'm hardly halfway done with my plate "We're just following Michael's orders. We have to. If it were up to me we wouldn't have taken you."

I keep my eyes held intently to the food. I pull the tonged, metal piece that I'd been using to eat across the plate. I don't like the idea that I could have stayed on the surface instead of coming here. Life would have been so much easier if I could have stayed in the Movement. As much as I disliked it, it was my life.

Xander goes to say something else as the door is pushed open. Part of me gets excited; it's Jeremii, finally back.

Then, my gut sinks.

It's Brody who rounds the corner.

"My dad's busy so he can't come down till later," he announces, tucking his hands in his pockets. I can see Jeremii in him, somewhere past the venom. They have the same nose; his eyes are almost scarily similar to his father's. "There was some emergency with Beckett Brim or some'm like that. Not adjusting right anymore."

"Thanks for the message." Xander nods. The air in the room has become tense. What an odd friendship the two have, if it's even a friendship at all. "Hopefully Beckett's okay."

"He's just anemic or whatever." Brody waves that aspect of the conversation off, even though it's the part that I want to hear. This person had also been in the Movement, and isn't doing well with his transition. Will that be me in a short time? "My dad also wanted me to apologize for yesterday."

Disbelief shoots through me. I search his face thoroughly. There isn't any apology in his eye--only hatred.

"Brody, just leave." Xander rises and advances on him. I hesitantly stand as well, though I keep a much farther distance between us. From here, I can see the fire burning in Brody's eyes. The larger boy shoves Xander out of the way to clear his path. Xander tries to stand his ground, but is weak compared to Brody. He has to work to keep himself from falling on his back. Xander tries to grab Brody's frame, but misses. "Brody!" he calls.

Brody strides my way. Xander tries to race after him but stumbles as he tries to find his footing

His burning eyes are a few inches above mine, but he's so close I have to tilt my entire head back to look into them. I can't risk not being able to read his eyes.

Before I can register any change in his posture, one of his fists connects with the soft flesh on my cheek, right over my jawbone. I'm sent reeling. When my body hits the floor, my head bounces off the rock. I can feel the blood flowing from whatever wound is left behind.

"Brody!" Xander shouts again as I try to sit up. I'm immediately pushed to the ground. My head is pulled back and slammed into the floor. I groan as pain runs through my skull. I'm flipped around in my still state and a foot is rammed into my side. I can vaguely make out Xander's yells through my distortion. The face above me sneers as he repeatedly kicks me like a soccer ball. Mine and Xander's plates stab into my side; the two must have broken from my impact.

"Stop it!"

The screech makes it past all of the yelling and kicking, right into my ears. It's a voice different from all of the voices I've heard since I woke up; it's a female.

Though my vision is blurred, my eyes work to find the alcove. I can't see her face through my daze, but I can make out her small frame and lengthy blonde hair. She might be one of the smallest women I've ever seen, but I can tell by the way she holds herself that she is the last one I'd want to mess with.

"What do you think you're doing?" she demands. "We need him. You can't just beat the crap out of him for no reason."

"I have a reason--" Brody tries to fight.

"He's done nothing to you. Just because you're mad at the Movement doesn't mean you take it out on him." Her face is looming over me, but I can't make out any details. I feel soft, long fingers on the side of my face. The touch on my tender skin is painful. "Hey, are you okay?"

I can't respond. The blur in my vision rushes to my brain until I can make nothing out.

--

A/N I can not wait until I show you guys the next chapter! You're about to meet another of my favorite characters! 

Thanks for reading this chapter! Don't forget to vote and comment! All of your support has been so great--I got to #398 on the Sci-Fi genre this past week! I've since slipped back, but it's just the thought that makes me so excited!

Have a great week!

Alisha