Chapter 29

On the elevator, I make a snap decision. I don't make quick decisions, but today seems to be different. I wait impatiently as the old elevator creaks from one floor to the next.

Finally, the door slide open and I'm faced with the purple hallways I'd visited with Jonah and Paul, the hall where contact with my father had been made what seemed like a lifetime ago.

An automatic light flickers on as I take my first step into the otherwise dark room, startling me. My heartbeat quickens as I glance around the room. The space is smaller without the throngs of people squeezed around the edges, watching. Across from the entrance is one of the old Holograph Adapters placed on a counter. To my left is the screen that had projected my father's face. Other than the two pieces of technology, the room is barren. My footsteps echo as I hurry across the finely polished floor.

One great thing about the Movement is that it is so dependent on technology that there isn't anything I don't know how to use. Though this old technology isn't used on the surface, my knowledge of our Holograph Adapters are useful in helping me to figure out how to maneuver. The monitor is quick to respond when my fingers press the Typing Pad. Like the last Adapter I'd been on, this one does not require a password. I'm immediately brought to an Application board.

There are only three apps in the board: the one to access the Holograph Screening, a coding app, and another labeled MATHIS RAMM. The app must have been crafted by a Free Speak to automatically connect to one of my father's Adapters. I click on it and glance at the screen. Immediately, a picture fills it. A beam from the ceiling shines onto the middle of the floor, indicating where I should stand.

I don't move into the beam as I stare at what lies on the wall in front of me. The app had opened to my father's personal Adapter in our home office. I'm able to see our pristine white walls, broken by a tall, slim window in the middle of the screen. Through the window, I can see small pieces of our backyard: the perfect, white gate and the tip of our small, green pine tree. A small photo hangs to the left of the window: our last family photo before my mother died. My father's desk shimmers with white and is clear of any of his papers or work.

A rustling off screen, followed by quick footsteps fills the silent room. My father's face appears on the other side of the camera. Time seems to freeze as I scan his face, as does he when he finally finds my image as I step into the Holograph beam. I stand before him with all of my healing wounds and bruises, in my colored clothing, with my knowing eyes.

His skin has new lines running across it, lines that should have taken more years to appear. His eyes sag, heavy. For some reason, he isn't sleeping. I have only been gone one week and it has changed my father.

Tears well in those heavy eyes as he sees me, takes in my torn up face, my scrapes and bruises. He begins to reach his hand toward me, but stops himself as a single tear rolls down his face. A smile, a relieved, proud smile, finds his narrow lips.

No words are exchanged in these simple, ten seconds. No words need to be said. My father's "I love you" is clear in his eyes, and mine in my own.

The light around me is turned off, the screen before me turned to black. I'm encased in complete darkness. All I can do is stare at the place where my father had been.

After a moment, the light returns, but the computer is returned to its original state. The screen in front of me stays black. I turn to find Michael stands in the doorway. A scowl is etched across his lips. "You don't have the clearance to be in here or use our technology, Taeo."

I clench my lips and my fists at my sides.

He scoffs. "Talking to your father isn't as simple as you think it is, Taeo. You didn't cover your Tracks. Another five seconds on that call and your father could have tracked our location."

He wasn't tracking our location. I could have been on that call for a long time before he would have even considered such an action.

I turn to face Michael, crossing my arms over my chest.

"This room isn't authorized to you, Taeo. I advise you leave before you get yourself into any more...trouble."

I don't even take a second to process his words before I try to storm past him. As I pass, he grabs my arm and yanks me toward him, pressing his face as close to my ear as possible without actually touching my skin. His hot breath steams over my skin, making it sweat. "There is a place for you here, Taeo, and these actions aren't the way to find it. It's in your best interest to stay under the radar rather than in the middle of it."

I pull myself away and hurry on. Michael stares after me--I can feel the gaze burn through my back. My fists are clenched so tightly my skin is whiter than the Movement. Tears threaten to fall from my eyes. For a moment I'd been so happy--but now reality sets back in.

--

A/N

This chapter gives me so many feels!!!! This scene made it in during my last edit, so it is newer, but it is one of my favorites. It gives me so much hope!!

If you love Unspoken, check out my new work on here called The Nomad! This is primarily pre-written, so there are no worries about me letting it go for a time. It's filled with time-traveling and powers, one of my favorite main characters I've ever created, and mystery around every corner! This will be a once-a-week update, and I'm posting a second chapter right after this!

Don't forget to vote or comment on this! Thank you all so much for your support. We've hit 1,000 views! Woo!

Alisha:)