Chapter 33

After I eat dinner with Brody, he walks me to Baya's apartment to grab my few belongings so I can take them back to my own.

It feels weird to think that: my own apartment. I've been dependent on my father my whole life. Now I'm starting my own life down here. Is this even what I want? I could easily start my life in the Movement as well. A part of me doesn't even know if I want to go back. This life--this life isn't all bad.

As Brody takes me down to the living quarters and leads me through a few of the halls, I feel a sense of empowerment. For the first time since I was born I have something to call my own that my father doesn't have a say over. If I had an apartment or house in the Movement, Mathis Ramm would still find a way to control it, to make sure I had the nicest place in the City.

Brody stops in front of Baya's door and gives a knock to signal that we're there. He doesn't wait for an answer before stepping inside. Baya sits in one of her chairs with an open book in her lap. If I'm not mistaken, there's the faint color under her eyes that indicates she'd been crying. She's been through so much these past few days. I feel bad that I've had to put her through more.

I look away from her before she can catch me watching. I can tell by the way she shifts that she realizes I know she's been crying, but she doesn't say anything. "What are you doing here, Brody?"

He itches at the back of his head. "I'm here to take Taeo and his things. Michael's moving him to an apartment."

"But there aren't any open apartments," Baya says flatly, then realization crosses her face.

I realize it, too. I hadn't even thought about it.

Because of the bombing there are many open apartments.

She stands quickly and throws her book on the table as I start to move toward the couch. My few changes of clothes are littered on the floor. Other than the book tucked into my pocket and the brush for my teeth, I have nothing else down here to call mine.

"You don't have to go, Taeo. You can stay. It really is no problem."

I take a few moments to grab at the clothes on the ground and hold them in my arms. When I finish collecting them, I look her in the eye and nod.

I do have to go.

As long as she is coming up to the Movement with me I need to leave here, or I'll get angry again like I did before. I don't like the way it feels to be angry, especially being angry at Baya.

I grab the last piece of clothing I had left lying on the floor and make my way to the door.

The smell of a garden lingers in the air. It disappears once the door closes behind me.

Nothing will be as sweet.

--

A/N

Short, sweet, a little sad. The shortness of this chapter is the main reason we're GETTING A DOUBLE UPDATE! The next chapter comes with a very simple but pivotal moment!

Vote, Comment, Share, and read on!

Alisha :)