Chapter 26

The song tonight is different. Christopher only hums softly, making the melancholy tune harder to decipher through the walls. It sounds hauntingly familiar to a song played at Movement funerals.

I shudder.

I don't realize I rise from my spot until I'm on my feet and halfway across the room. My feet are moving me toward the door, which Christopher had passed only moments before.

The hallway outside of the room is dark. All the lights have been turned off apart from a few sprinkled about periodically. There's just enough light where I am that once I'm engulfed in it, I can make out Christopher's hunched figure four yards ahead.

He doesn't move or hum; he doesn't even seem to be breathing. His figure is completely still in the darkness. He's another piece of the dark, looming in the places where the light does not reach.

We stand in silence until Christopher pivots on his heels. He limps my way, faster than what I would expect from a man his age. The closer he gets, the more rigid my back becomes. It looks like he's about to walk right through me. He finally stops with his wrinkled forehead hanging hardly a half-inch from mine. Neither eye focuses on me.

"Taeo..." he says as more of a breath than a word. It smells stale and still holds the lingering scent of the pasta we'd had for dinner.

My breath catches at the sound of my name on his voice. His voice is different now; his eyes are more aware. Intelligence gleams through his face.

Christopher brings one of his shaky hands to my face and cups my cheek to keep my head in place. My eyes are forced to linger on him. "You need ta listen, Taeo. We need you."

What's going on?

His head cocks to the side and his eyes grow wide. The normally lazy one actually focuses on me. "Mary went down to the store, and Susy, well she was no more. Jimmy listened oh-so-well, but Gregor—'e was caught in 'ell. They did not realize that there was more, something waitin' behind the unseen door."

This time I don't try to pull away. In fact, I lean forward to listen closer.

"You're a special one, my Taeo. I know what you can do, and deep down, you know too. Don't ever forget. It's the only thing that'll keep you alive through the mornin' every night until your life's ova."

He lets go of my face. I rock back onto my heels. I hadn't realized that I'd been so hunched forward as I listened to what seemed like the old man's senseless babble.

Without saying another word, he turns and begins to hobble to where he had started, just as fast as before. Once he reaches his original spot, though, his speed automatically decreases and he goes back to humming the same, sad tune.

I watch until I can hardly hear the echo of his song, and even when it is completely gone. When I can finally settle my mind enough, I walk back into the apartment and lay on the couch.

Instead of sleeping, I lay where I am and stare at the ceiling.

The crack moves twice by morning.

--

A/N:

Okay, so I really want some feedback on this chapter! This is one of those chapters that I feel like is missing SOMETHING, but I can't put my finger on it. Any helpful tips would be great!

Also, I want to apologize for being MIA lately. I've been posting (barely), but I haven't been reading anything, and it's taking me almost a week to comment back (apologies here). But it will hopefully get better after this week! I was taking four accelerated online courses at once. Two  just finished a week ago, and two end this week. I'll be a lot freer to spend time on WP after Sunday night! I promise I haven't abandoned you all.

Also, if you follow my story Broken Cookies, I apologize because I'm going to take it down. I just don't have the time to write coming up (in the summer, I literally work 24/7. Oh, the life of a camp counselor!), so I'm gonna put it to the side. I'll be posting a note in it on Friday and I'll take it down in a couple weeks. But after the summer's over (or possibly sooner if I can figure out a good cover for it), I'm going to start posting another story that I've previously written. I know that is a really long time away, but watch out for it! If you follow me, you'll be the first to know when it drops! Thanks for your support, guys!

So don't forget to vote or comment. I love all your support and feedback!

You guys ROCK

Alisha :)