Chapter 36

Everything is white again. In only a few moments, I'm engulfed in a world that is brighter than I remember, more stiff. Too controlled.

I'm second through the trapdoor behind Hawk, who was given a Taser in case we are attacked. He is protecting me. Beau is in the back and he has another Taser.

There's nothing in the room we're in, just white walls, a white floor, and a white door. I already miss all of the color from underground. There's something very wrong with the lack of color around us.

"Masks on," Hawk whispers when we all work through the small door in the floor. I don't know how Beau even fits through the opening with how large he is.

I pull the white mask out from my jacket pocket and put it over my face. It covers everything beside my left eye. When I breathe, the air is hot and stuffy behind the plastic.

I follow Hawk to a door on the side of the windowless room. Unlike most, this room is square. The door is placed right in one of the crooks of it.

"It's 11:03. We're going to leave the room, enter an alley, and disperse around the block. Taeo, you stick with me. I'll tell you when to do your part. And remember: keep your heads down and hoods up at all times. We meet back in this room when we're done." Hawk places his hand on the knob, specifically looking back at me.

Before I even step out of the room, I turn my head. Baya is three people behind me, four from the end. She doesn't even look at me, but at the floor instead. She might have been given a weapon, too. I thought I saw her with another Taser earlier.

I turn forward again and throw my hood over my dark hair, completely engulfing myself in white.

Hawk pushes the door open.

The fresh air makes my mind race.

I can see the way it exhilarates Hawk. His shoulders stand straighter and his fingers begin to move with anticipation. A few times they inch to the spot where his Taser is tucked under his belt.

Hawk motions for me to come with him and stay close. Everybody else besides Beau and Henrietta move down the other side of the alley to come from the opposite side of Circle 1.

The clean alley makes way to the semi-crowded street that belongs to the Office of Advancement, or the Movement Headquarters, where all of the officials keep office.

Including my father.

Hawk flashes his white watch to me.

11:06.

It's almost time.

No one notices us as we make our way down the street. It's common courtesy to keep your head down, because walking is a time to be with yourself. Considering that we live in a world where people can know close to anything about you just by looking at your face, it's good to have the designated time. I'd always enjoyed it.

At about the time we get to the Office of Advancement, I make out my father in the crowd on the other side of the street.

If anyone was meant, born, or created just to be the Leader of the Movement, it would be Mathis Clause Ramm, a seemingly common man in the Movement who had potential from an early age to do so much more. He is regal in how he holds himself and instigates Movement matters, even more so than Michael. Part of me has always admired that about him, though the other part hated it because Movement matters took over his life; there was little time left for me.

Hawk touches my shoulder.

It's time to go.

I begin to cross the road as my father does. I will meet him directly in the middle. I pull the Taser out of my pocket and pull the switch on the side. It has been painted white to fit in with its surroundings. I run into my father as he fails to notice my presence in his time alone. When our shoulders bump together, he jumps back a bit and passes me a look of genuine apology. As his body moves, I place the Taser against his heart, just like Michael told me to.

Right before I push the trigger on the stem of the Taser, he says in a small voice, "Taeo?"

I can't talk now. I'll tell him everything another time.

I press.

--

A/N

Okay, I'm going to be a really great person and do a double update today. Trust me, you may have some idea as to what happens but plenty more is about to take place!

Vote, comment, etc!

Alisha :)