Chapter 45

My mind won't stop spinning after my revelatory dream. I try keeping myself busy through the day by cleaning my apartment. It's probably best to keep my space from my friends--all of us spending time together so soon after everything that happened would only draw suspicion from Michael's end. The goal now is to keep him unaware of what our group knows.

And if I were to see Baya.... I don't know what to do with my dream yet. I'd been given one of the greatest pieces of my life back, but I hadn't realized it. I don't know how to tell Baya everything. I know she's hurt--being forgotten, no matter the circumstances, has to be incredibly painful.

I can't help but feel idiotic for thinking someone else was Baya in my memories. How can someone completely change my past like that? I can only imagine the power behind such technology. I understand the Movement uses it as well...but not in the way Michael plans to.

Through my trial I have figured out one thing Michael hasn't about the technology.

I know the loophole.

Michael has an intricate plan in place. Every detail and variable has been thought out based on the results from my mind alteration. As far as Michael knows, every aspect of the technology works successfully. He thinks I don't know who Baya is. As much as it might pain me, we will keep it that way.

If for some reason we aren't able to combat Michael before he sets his plan into action, this knowledge will be valuable.

Right now, no matter where Michael goes or doesn't go, I'm a step ahead.

I open a drawer to clean it out. Whoever cleaned the apartment before I moved in left junk and trinkets in many places. I hadn't gotten the chance to clean until today.

Under a pile of spare, scribbled-on papers is an upside-down picture frame. I carefully pull the frame out and stare at the person represented. The boy is tall, lanky. He is dressed in a crisp dress shirt and khaki pants. His hands rest in their pockets as he gives the camera a half smile. Though his curly hair is longer and eyes are harder to read, I know who this is.

Alexander Masterson.

No matter where he's ended up, he always seems to make his way back here to go through our trials with us. I smile at the thought. Xander would love to see where we are and where we're going--he'd believed in this path before I even believed in it.

Because he believed in me before I knew I needed to be believed in.

--

A/N: Okay, you can hate me all you want for this being a short chapter, but this is what I've got for you. This chapter is actually super duper important if I do end up posting the sequel to Unspoken here. There's a lot of foreshadowing to the plot of it here, and in a LOT of ways you will not pick up on.

So ponder. And vote. And comment. I think I have a chance to update next Sunday, so I'll see you then!

Until then, keep strong

Alisha :)