Chapter 18

"Taeo! Speak; safe?" my father asks.

I can see the edge of his face from the doorway of the room. Even though I haven't felt especially fond of him lately, something pulses through me as I hear his distress. In everything that he's ever done--even in any work that he's done for the Movement--I've never heard this emotion in his voice.

Sincerity.

That's what it is.

I begin to take a few steps forward.

Someone's arm grabs me around my waist and yanks me back. All I can smell is dead animals and crusted sweat; Brody. I tense in his hold.

"He said speak, Taeo. You're not allowed to see him." Michael smirks at me from in front of the camera. His aged gaze rests on me. Of course he isn't going to let me be seen--I look like I'd almost been murdered. I'm sure I would have been murdered if Baya hadn't stopped Brody. If my father sees me like this, it'll make him more angry than anything.

Everyone watches me to see if I will speak.

I look down at my feet, defeated.

Even though this might actually be hurting my father, I can't speak for him.

"I'm sorry, Mathis. It looks like he won't."

"See him!"

Michael shakes his head. "No. You don't get to see him until we come to an agreement. Either you work something out with us or your son'll stay."

Brody lets me go and stares at the ground. Pity laces his eyes. He shakes his head and turns away. Everyone else looks away as well.

"What?"

My head jerks to the screen. What? He's actually going to make an agreement with Michael? I'd always thought that for Mathis Ramm, the Movement was first. Is that not true?

"It's time for the experiment to end, Mathis. People shouldn't be forced to be a part of a society that's overstepping its boundaries. There is hardly any good in your people and what their mission is anymore."

My father scoffs, and I do as well. Brody jabs my side when the scoff leaves my mouth. Michael casts me a look. I hold up my fingers to him and wiggle them, the best sign I can think of for the Transmitters.

He slowly realizes what I mean and looks down. "Mathis. Free Speaks have been self-sustained for how many years now? All of the technology you have discovered can only help the world. We need to analyze what positive traits the Movement discovered to better all societies, especially the Transmitters."

My father clenches his lips, placing his face in his hands. After a moment, he looks up and shakes his head. The defiance in his eyes makes me grin.

Michael bites his lip and runs a hand down his wrinkled face. "Mathis, for now this is my offer. If you don't accept, your son is going to stay here with us and we will have to find other measures to get what we want."

"Fine."

I feel my gut drop at the word. He's giving me up, just like that? Everything he's said to this point has been a lie. If there's one thing I've known true about my father it's that the Movement comes before everything else. I guess that means it even comes before me.

When the screen goes blank, I push past Brody and start for the elevator.

--

A/N: Contact has been made. What do you guys think? Leave  a comment below and don't forget to vote!

Alisha:)