Chapter Fifty-One

Start from the beginning

"Ah, Leah, I suppose you're here about the Prophet?" he asked, walking over.

"Yes, don't you have power in the Ministry? How could you let them print that? This makes my life much more difficult."

"Leah, I cannot control the Prophet," Lucius snorted and I groaned.

"Well now I have to act sad all the time."

"Poor you."

"Do you think they'll be able to figure out what happened?"

"Doubtful, but either way there's no way for you to be tied back to it."

"Leah?" Draco said nervously, coming into view. What's up with him?

"Hey Draco," I smiled back.

"Why are you here?" he asked in confusion.

"Wanted to come ask about the Prophet."

"Right," he said and I sighed.

"Although I'd rather die than go back again."

"Don't whine, Leah," Lucius said and I scowled.

"How did they tell you your parents were dead?" Draco asked.

"They pretended like everything was fine, but they're terrible liars. So Black showed me the Prophet."

"Oh ... you better get back before they suspect something," Draco frowned and I crossed my arms, feeling uneasy about the vibes he was giving off.

"Why? They'll think I'm sobbing in the shower," I shrugged.

"I think it's better if you go," he said with a sigh, and then walked away without even a 'goodbye'. I stood there shocked and then jumped when Severus put a hand on my shoulder.

"A lot's happened since you arrived at the Weasley's, don't take it personally," he said sternly. I nodded and then forced a smile.

"See you later, Sev," I said, and then disapparated.

I ended up back in the bathroom and decided I'd take a shower anyway. I took off the silencing spell but kept alohamora. I peeled off my pajamas and stepped into the shower, letting the hot water engulf me.

"What happened since I left?" I asked myself. It must have been big if Draco was practically ignoring me. 

"Leah?" someone asked through the door and I sighed.

"Yes?" I asked.

"Are you alright?" they asked, and I think it was Granger.

"I'm okay, I'll be out in a second," I said, and I heard her walk away. I glared in the direction of the door and then realized something; the Golden egg.

I summoned the egg and then put the plug in the shower, letting the tub fill up. Once that was accomplished, I took the egg and submerged myself under the water before opening it.

"Come seek us where our voices sound,

We cannot sing above the ground,

And while you're searching, ponder this:

We've taken what you'll sorely miss,

An hour long you'll have to look,

And to recover what we took,

But past an hour - the prospect's black

Too late, it's gone, it won't come back."

I sat there, staring for a moment, thankful I could stay underwater for long periods of time. Seek us where our voices sound. Underwater obviously, since I already know they're mermaids. I have to find something I'll miss...which they've taken. Okay, this isn't complicated, I have to find what they've taken in an hour, or I won't get it back. They best not take my ring Draco gave me. I heard pounding, which I figured was something downstairs and ignored it in order to replay the message.

Suddenly, I heard a really loud bang close by, and I popped out from under the water quickly. I saw and heard people in the bathroom, calling my name. Before they could rip open the curtain, I grabbed my towel and wrapped it around myself awkwardly.

"Leah!" Granger cried, ripping open the curtain right as I got the towel around me.

"Bloody hell, Hermione!" I shrieked, gripping the towel. I looked at her shocked face, and Potter and Weasley's embarrassed faces.

"O-oh, um, I'm so sorry!" she stuttered, averting her eyes.

"Blimey, what are you people doing?" I yelled.

"You weren't responding to us...we thought maybe something happened..." she muttered. Potter was looking out the door, and Weasley was looking at the floor, his face beat red.

"I was listening to my clue for the second task! Get out, get out!" I cried, and they all ran out. I sighed and unplugged the drain, my lovely shower/bath ruined. I stomped downstairs and found everyone in the living room. I put a scowl on my face and my hands on my hips.

"Who's brilliant idea was it to barge in on me?" I glared, and Granger shifted uncomfortably.

"Well Sirius said you weren't responding to the knocks on the door, so when I tried and you didn't answer, I panicked," she said, looking ashamed.

"You were this close to catching me without a towel," I snapped, putting my thumb and pointer finger about a centimeter apart.

"I'm sorry," she sighed and I shook my head.

"Why did you bring those two?" I asked, cocking one eyebrow.

"They were worried as well," she said, looking teary-eyed.

"Listen, Mione, thanks for the concern," I said, not wanting to start another fight.

"No, I shouldn't have assumed," she shook her head.

"You were right to assume, I'm going through a lot," I said, my voice cracking. 

"I know, with you being an orphan and only child now..." Granger sobbed, and I nodded. 

"You don't have to cry," I said quietly, and I realized there was no one I cared about to comfort me. Not even Draco. I broke down myself and cried, falling to the floor with my hands hiding my face. I have never cried this hard for real...ever. I felt about a million people hugging me, but that only made me cry harder because I knew none of them were Draco. As the hands lessoned, I looked up to see Weasley, Percy, and Potter remaining, but Weasley was sitting off to the side. I tried wiping away the tears, but they kept coming and I eventually pulled my knees up and cried into them.

Soon enough I didn't feel any hands, and it was unnaturally quiet; I didn't hear any 'comforting' words anymore. It seemed colder, like a door was opened. I looked up, and through blurred eyes, I saw striking blonde hair. Draco was standing there, staring blankly. I stopped sobbing, too confused to do anything.

"Leah, what are you doing?" he asked.

"What?" I gasped out, holding back sobs.

"Stand up, love," he said, still cold, but trying to seem almost caring. He walked over and pulled me to my feet, but his touch wasn't warm and didn't make me feel special. Something's changed, and it's changed for the worse.

"Calm down, everything's fine," he rolled his eyes and I felt a few tears slide down my cheeks. Something changed inside him, I could see it in his eyes, and he sighed, wiping the tears away, sending the familiar tingling down my back. I frowned and looked at him in confusion.

"Leah, are you alright?" he asked gently and I took a step back.

"Me? What about you?" I whispered and he looked confused.

"What?" he asked and I shook my head. Everyone was watching in disgust, glaring daggers at him.

"How could you possibly ask that?" I asked quietly, and I took another step back when he reached for my hand.

"Leah what are you talking about?" he asked and I gulped back more tears. He's toying with me!

"You're a dick!" I snapped angrily and then ran upstairs. I looked over the railing slightly to see Potter and Draco angrily talking to each other. I slammed my door shut and paced for a few moments before apparating to the Malfoy Manor.

***