15 - Small Talks

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Di ka pa ba nakakahalata? Why do you think i'm taking all these pictures and selfies every 15 minutes or so? Di naman ako ganon kahilig mag-selfie talaga."

"Ganon? Eh di dahil pinapayagan kitang magpahinga nang madalas, I think I earned the right to know kung paano kayo napunta sa pickup truck ko kahapon? Hindi ako naniniwala na nasa barko na nung sumakay kayo."

She did not respond, weighing the question very carefully.

"O come on, it's not necessarily small talk, but it's still a valid question since it involves me."

"You know what, tama ka. Confession time na ba? You want the short version?"

He shrugged."Bahala ka."

"Remember the last stop you made in a cafe at a gasoline station in Batangas yesterday morning? We're already eating inside when you came in. You sat at a table near us. That time, nalaman ko na hindi na kami puwedeng tumuloy sa talagang pupuntahan namin. I was thinking of plan B, and plan C when I heard you guys talking about Mangyan, mountains and Mindoro. The idea just clicked. Hinanap ko kung alin ang sasakyan mo habang kumakain pa kayo and the rest is history."

"Pero hindi ka ba natakot na hindi n'yo kami kilala? "

"Sorry for eavesdropping on your conversation but believe me, I've heard anough to gauge that we can trust you. Call it gut feel, woman intuition, whatever it is. You see, I'm usually a good judge of character. Tama ba judgment ko?"

He shrugged again. "Not for me to say. Do your parents even know where you are?"

"Yes and no. I took precautionary measures. And here is where I need to make another confession. Promise, huwag ka magagalit?"

"Try me."

"Ganito. I took pictures of you, then of your pickup truck and sent it to my father. I called him to give a gist of what I'm going to do and the bit about Mangyan and Mindoro. I promised to be back after a week just in case walang signal sa pupuntahan natin.

"Sino sinabi mong kasama n'yo?"

"Aaahm....I mentioned NCIP, your Foundation and sent him your picture. Sorry sabi ko kakilala namin kayo pero hindi n'yo kasalanan at kami ang gustong sumama sa inyo. He has already done a very discreet background check on the info I sent - that includes you. Sorry again." she offered apology with a sheepish smile.

She was surprised that he did not show the slightest hint of negative reaction."Fair enough, wala naman akong tinatago. In fact, kung ako ang tatay mo, ganon din gagawin ko. Baka nga mas malala pa, susundan kita. But wait, is your father in the military?"

"No." she shook her head, a smile escaping her lips.

"Hmmm....A politician with lots of bodyguards?"

She realized where his questions are leading to. "None of the above! Kung iniisip mo na magiging delikado buhay mo because of me, don't worry - he's a cool father. He's not the type to make drastic move that will jeopardize other people's lives"

"But are you usually this impulsive?"

He must have sensed her hesitation to answer. "Small talk pa rin yan, you're not giving specific information anyway. "

"Yes sometimes. My impulsive acts are far and between but they can be pretty major."

"How far between and how major?"

"Let's put it this way, etong biglaang pagsama namin sa inyo is the result of the last major impulsive act that I did last year. And that's all you need know."

"Then please, don't make anymore impulsive decisions while you're with us?"

"Huwag kang mag-alala. You see, there's a cycle. A major impulsive act is usually followed by a period when I ask for signs before doing anything. As in SIGNS in bold letters! So, I think malayo pa ang susunod kong major impulsive decision. Come to think of it, you sitting beside our table in the coffee shop was a sign."

"No, it was just a coincidence. Low probability of happening, so it was a coincidence."

"For me, it was the sign that I prayed for right at that moment."

"But there's no logic in signs."

"Oh but there are signs in logic. You have the plus sign, minus sign, so on and so forth"

"Hahaha, panalo yang linyang yan!" There's that laughter again.

"Of coursse! I'm good like that." she said, surprised and yet enjoying his rare laughter.

He stopped walking. Turned to face her. Then smiled. "Do you always need to have the last word?"

She also stopped walking. Turned to face him. And smiled back. "Yes, I do...........need to have the last word, that is", and then she blushed.