Chapter 77 - Graduation Trip

Playlist:

❶ "Parade of the Ewoks" — Return of the Jedi OST

❷ "Lakeside Campfire" — Virtual Fireplace

Three years had elapsed since they had established the Jedi Academy on Khalkha, and the Padawan and knights were abuzz with activity as they prepared for the third annual survival skills trip into the high country

Three years had elapsed since they had established the Jedi Academy on Khalkha, and the Padawan and knights were abuzz with activity as they prepared for the third annual survival skills trip into the high country. It was early fall, and the weather had been perfect for the last few weeks.

As they packed their hard-framed packs, Luke could feel Naluma's excitement through their Force-bond. "You're really looking forward to this trip, aren't you?" he asked.

"You have no idea." She smiled at him with a dreamy look. "This is my kind of R&R."

"You're crazy."

She winked at him. "I know. It's part of my charm."

Luke grinned back as he shook his head.

They had held the second graduation ceremony for the Jedi Order a few days earlier. Kalder, Kallay, Wei'ahtt, Jannah, and Tandolleau were now official Jedi Knights. As a final activity for the graduates, the entire academy was going to enjoy the mountains one more time before the snow season hit and the five new Jedi were deployed on missions for the Republic.

After Luke finished stuffing the last item into his pack, he inspected the Padawan packs. A few were having trouble getting everything inside. "Dashka, were you planning on leaving your bedroll here? You're going to want it in the mountains."

The twelve-year-old boy looked up at him. "Well, I can't make it all fit, Master Luke."

Luke took the pack and emptied it onto the table. He sorted through the toys and games that crowded the pack. "Well, maybe if we just kept to the bare necessities, you might have better luck. Start over. Roll your clothes and put them on the bottom."

As he pushed aside the toys and junk, Luke said, "If you don't get your act together, Dashka, you'll stay behind with Lor San Tekka."

"Please, Master Luke, don't do that. I'll get it to all fit," Dashka said, shoving his things back in his pack.

Luke shook his head at his attempts and asked, "Kallay, can you show Dashka how it's done?"

The short, dark-haired newly-knighted Jedi joined them at the table. "Sure, Master Luke." She took the jumbled mess that was the eleven-year-old's bedroll and shook it out. More toys, as well as leaves, sticks, and dried mud flakes scattered across the floor. She shook her head at him and then showed him how to roll it.

In a few minutes, Jedi Kallay had it repacked, and they were all ready to hit the trail.