Chapter 75 - A Stirring in the Force

Start from the beginning

Luke opened his mouth and started to speak, but Leia cut him off.

"I have not had visions of Ben dying."

Anakin spoke, "No, but you have of him turning to the dark side." 

Leia nodded and shuddered.

"I know you would do anything to save him, Leia."

While Luke wrapped an arm around her shoulder, she let a tear trail down her cheek. "Anything. Everything. We've got to save him."

Luke said, "You have to save yourself first, Leia. You have to forgive and let go of your hatred."

Leia inhaled deeply again. She looked at her father and stuttered, "I-I-I-I ... f-f-f-for ... give you, Father."

As soon as she said that, the ghost disappeared.

⊘ "Where did he go?"

"It takes a lot of power to hold him here, Leia, and it's been a rough day. I'm worn out," Luke said in a weary voice and nodding toward Ben whom he was still holding in a trance on the floor. He collapsed backward on the couch and fell asleep.

She kept watch over both Luke and Ben as they both slept, contemplating what the next move would entail.

❷ After Leia's night-long vigil, Luke arose, but Ben was still held in the trance. She greeted from the kitchen. "Good morning."

Luke stood up and stretched as he said with a yawn, "Let's hope it's a better one than yesterday. Got anything to eat? I'd even eat MREs right now, I'm so hungry."

"I think I can provide something slightly better than that. Breakfast will be ready in a minute." She poured him a stimcaf.

Luke sipped the hot liquid. "Mmm. Thank you." He then looked at his sister. "No sleep, huh?"

She looked at the bags under eyes in the reflection on the cooling unit and shook her head. "No, but I've survived through worse before." She carried the plates to the table. "I'm a mother, Luke. Sleepless nights come with the territory." She took a few bites of the zered egg omelet Threepio had cooked. "Is it normal for him to be out this long?"

Luke finished chewing before answering, "I'm holding him in a trance until I figure out what's going on."

"What is going on?"

"I'm not sure. There has to be some evil force out there seducing Ben."

"What are we going to do? How do I protect him from something I can't even see? And why Ben? Why not one of your Padawan or Naluma or even one of us?"

"He's Vader's grandson—has the Skywalker blood coursing through his veins. The Force is strong with him Leia, maybe even more than with me."

Leia set her fork down on the plate with a clatter. "But nobody knows he's a Skywalker except you and me and Han."

"No. The guy who gave us the lodge knew that Vader was Anakin Skywalker. And the whole galaxy knows we're siblings, Leia."

"Well, it hasn't been on the news vids. Maybe he was an isolated case."

"Maybe." Luke worked a piece of food from between his teeth with a toothpick. "But at least one other person in this galaxy knows. And I think whoever it is has a connection with those dark Force users from Telti. And, as much as the light side sends visions, I think the dark side can, too."

As Leia returned her attention to her breakfast, Luke continued. "Ben is a little young, but I'd like to take him back with me to the academy. If I can't turn him, the Jedi can at least contain him."

"Luke, there's good in him. I've felt it. I can turn him back to the good side," Leia said grabbing onto his arm. Please, not the academy. I know that's where he turns.. If I don't send him there, he'll never turn. "I have to at least try. Please don't take him from me. Luke, please, it's safer for him here. They won't be able to take him."

"Whoever this is has already influenced him, Leia, security or no security. He needs the Jedi guarding him."

"Not yet. He's still so young."

Luke nodded and sighed. "I think this is a mistake, Leia, but I cannot take him without your permission." He observed his sleeping nephew. "I need to train you in this Force-trance, though. You will need to be able to put him in a trance like this, or this vision will continue to haunt him, seduce him. And once he starts down the dark path, it will consume him."

"I know." Tears flowed down her face now as she nodded. She held out her hands and begged, "Teach me." 

Did you know 

Did you know ...

● In the old EU, Leia had a hard time forgiving Anakin, too. In Bloodline, her biological parentage affects the rest of her life. Too bad the rest of the galaxy doesn't take Han's point of view.

● Leia inherited Anakin's personality, seasoned with a dose of Padmé's common sense and influenced by Bail's level-headedness. 

● Luke has Padmé's compassion. We don't see it often, but he does have a touch of Anakin's temper, as well.

● Ben's speech impediment is based on my own. I underwent speech therapy when I was in first grade. 

● With Han leaving all the time and Luke involved with the Jedi Order, Ben is the only emotional stability Leia has. As a politician, she cannot trust anyone else. It's a lonely life to lead.

 It's a lonely life to lead

Tell me what you think ...

● If Anakin is not influencing Ben, who is?

● What changes in their marriage would entice Han to stay with Leia and not run away?

● What is Leia thinking at the end of this chapter?