Chapter 75 - A Stirring in the Force

Start from the beginning

"Not in a Jedi-enforced trance. But Vader didn't do this, Leia."

"How do you know?" She remembered the time Vader had interrogated—tortured—her on the first Death Star. He was the one who held her in position, forcing her to watch her home world explode as the Death Star's weapons systems were tested. It was still hard for her to acknowledge that he was her biological father.

Anakin's ghostly form appeared before Luke and said, "Because I'm here right now."

Leia could not see the apparition. "Do you hear that voice? Where is it coming from?"

Luke turned to her. "Leia, I know it's not him, because our father is right here, right now. It is his voice you hear. He is part of the light." He frowned and bit his lip. "Leia, clear your mind of everything. Become at peace and feel the Force."

She sat down and put the toy on the table, her son sprawled on the floor a few feet away. She closed her eyes and took a few deep breaths.

"Now open your eyes. What do you see?"

"You're not Vader."

"Not anymore. I am your father—Anakin Skywalker."

"Father?" she remarked with a look of disgust on her face, her nose and lips pulled back.

"Forgive me, Leia."

"I ... I can't." She turned her head from him.

The ghost floated in front of her. He reached out with his hand to cup her chin. "If I had known who you were, Leia, I would have never let Tarkin—"

"Hypocrite! My father was one of your closest friends, and you murdered him. You made me watch, but you knew who he was. You turned your back on him, on everyone in your life. And for what?" Leia's eyes glared, their warm chocolate glowing with an amber tinge. 

Luke placed his hand on her shoulder. "Let go of your hatred, Leia. It will only lead to the dark side of the Force. Anger, hate, fear, aggression, release them."

"You don't understand, Luke." She scowled at Anakin's image. "You monster. I might be able to forgive you for torturing me on the Death Star. I might even be able to forgive you for destroying Alderaan and putting Han in carbonite. But I will never forgive you for seducing my son to the dark side."

"I regret those actions deeply, Leia, but I would never tempt my grandson. Who do you think told Luke to come here? I've been watching, but I can't interfere. If I could go back years ago and do it all over again—the right way—I would. And I would find a way to save your mother. She was the one who kept me in the light," Anakin said with his eyes watering.

Leia's anger swelled, emotions welling up in her as she absorbed it all. She turned her face once again as she remembered the images of her mother she had from right after birth. She remembered her beautiful, sad face crowned with stunning chestnut curls.

"Leia, look at him," Luke said with authority. When she refused to look up, Luke moved her head up and opened her eyes with the Force. "Do you see a mask on him? Our father has not been coming to Ben in his dreams. I don't know what it is, but it's not our father."

"Why? Just tell me why you turned, because then maybe—."

Anakin dropped his head and bit back a tear. "For your mother."

"Liar." She shrugged off Luke's arm and glared once more at her biological father.

"No, let me explain."

She clenched her teeth together and lowered her head.

"Leia, I loved her so much I didn't think I could go on without her. I had visions of her dying in childbirth, and I knew that if I could just find the secrets the Jedi hid from me, I could save her." He knelt in front of her and lifted her chin. "Not unlike the visions you've had of Ben."